Chapter 7: Nasty

Runner's POV

Me and Gabs were hugging. This was unheard of! She never liked it when anyone hugged her. She would just shrug it off or out right reject it. I feel so blessed. Her body warmth makes me feel so calm. We hug for a while before I realize that she's asleep. I smile and gently lay her down on the carpet for a softer bedding. She snores a little, but I don't mind. Things have been really difficult for all of us. I... I was actually expecting something weird to happen to Gabs, but I wasn't expecting this. She was acting weird and hiding stuff from us and then all of a sudden her memories are gone. It was kind of scary, not only for her but for us too. We didn't know what was going on. Our best friend (frie) didn't remember us at all. I never left her. I knew she was going through a tough time so I stayed by her side. I just want to help her in any way I can.

Time skip to a time the next day.

Bearer's POV

I was silently sitting near the window. Staring out into nothing. We are leaving today. Everything is packed and ready to go. I don't see why we have to leave but nevertheless I'm glad. Too much emotion in this nuthouse. Right now I'm just waiting for the others to do whatever it is they are doing. I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn my head and see them smiling at me. I give a small smile back before I get up. We exit the door like normal people would. I breeze sweeps past us as we walk out into the still empty streets. Not a soul in sight. I take a deep breath and am greeted with the scent of flowers. The trees around this neighborhood are blossoming. I look up to see a clear sky. Not a single cloud littered the sky. Everything seemed normal if only for that moment. I closed my eyes in content. The others watched me as I was in pure bliss. This, this was the very first time I didn't feel afraid. It was magical. Everything was perfect, until...

SPLAT!

We all turned in unison to the source of the wet sound. What we saw not only horrified me, but reminded me of the reality of this world. A body. But it wasn't on the ground. It was standing. But, it was just disgusting. The top half of the body was on the ground behind the standing legs. The splat came from the upper half falling into the street. I can tell by the way the blood splattered around it. All that was connecting the two half were all the guts and organs spilling out everywhere. They pulsated in a sickening manner. Ribs were sticking out in every direction, puncturing the intestines. Blood spurting everywhere. I couldn't help it. I turned to the side and emptied my stomach onto the street. Everyone else stared wide eyed at the monstrosity. Once I was done, I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and hesitantly looked at the thing. The legs shook and trembled before the right one bent forward. But it didn't fall. I didn't expect what happened next to come to pass.

The body didn't tumble and fall. It didn't do what normal dead bodies do. The right leg bent forward and lifted off the ground. The whole thing trembled as it did so. The leg inched forward. Then it slammed down into the ground. Both knees bent from the impact. Then the left leg began to lift up. Before it could take another step, the whole thing just fell. Blood splattered everywhere as the guts gushed out. They continued to pulsate as I once again heave the acid out of my stomach. Everything I had in there was already gone. It burned as the sick scented liquid climbed my throat and out my mouth. Tears pricked my eyes as the painful heaving slowly subsided. Once done, I coughed a few times to try and get rid of the burning sensation. It didn't work. All it did was make it worse.

Tears streamed down my face as I miserably kneeled next to a pile of food and acid, coughing uncontrollably. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I whipped my head towards the touch. A girl with short hair and worry in her eyes. Her name is Emma from what I gathered from the others. She gently rubbed circles on my back, as a mother would do to a child. My coughs were gone and all that was left was a slight sting deep within my throat. I took a deep breath and attempted to stand. I tripped on my feet and almost landed on the mess I made. Before I could, the girl Emma grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet. She let go and I wiped my eyes with my clean sleeve. I'm done with this sweater. I shall now use it as a wipe. No more shall it be used for warmth. Besides, it feels like summer here in Manteca. I looked at the girl Emma. She nodded and started to walk away. That's when I saw another girl with a mess on her shirt. Damn.

She took off the shirt without hesitation and replaced it with a clean one. She stuffed the dirty one in her pack. Probably had the same idea as me. I took a step forward only to hear a crack behind me. My eyes widened as I feared to look behind me. The others turned with wide eyes as well. More cracks and pops could be heard. Then wet sliding noises. Despite my better judgment, I turn my head slightly to peak. I immediately regretted it. The body was seizing up and contorting into unnatural positions. The bones cracked and snapped from the intense motions. The organs were slipping and sliding all over the ground. Moving around and knotting itself. It kept going. My body now fully facing it. As I watched in utter horror I began to notice more muscles and tissues being formed. The once human body was no more than a lump of pulsating and moving flesh. I think I'm about to throw up again.

1065 words.