Chapter 1

You were awake and you were in the middle of a... cornfield? How on earth did you end up here? If you recalled correctly you had been running from your hus- ex-husband. You no longer knew him as a lover, not even as an enemy. A mere figment of the past.
However, you grew worried, you had no idea how you had ended up here. You began to move out of the cornfield and stumbled upon a generator.
Why would this be out here? Who would need to be in a cornfield after sunset?
That was when you caught a glimpse of quick movements to your left. Were there other people here? You moved closer, a sudden instinct to move slowly, as if any sudden movements would alert something far bigger than you of your presence.
You reached were you'd seen the motion, where did they go? More importantly what were they running from?
You scanned the area again and saw the figure, it was a girl. She had red braids from what you could see of her, she was hiding, but why? She was motioning you to duck or get down, why would she be doing that? However, your heart rate began to increase and you fearfully followed her instructions, hiding behind some hay. That was when you heard the heavy footsteps and saw the eerie red glow shine past you. It was about to see you, you swore it was, how close could it get before it saw you? You didn't know, but the dull whir of a chainsaw was enough to get your heart pounding.
It was an explosion that caught both it's and your attention. And then the chainsaw was whirring at full speed and the figure bolted away with it.
You sat there for what felt like another two hours. It was then that the girl from before appeared next to you. You almost screamed, but she was quick to throw her hand over your mouth.
"Don't. The last thing you or I want is to end up on one of those hooks. I'm going to remove my hand, please don't scream." She hissed quietly. You nodded and she slowly withdrew her hand.
"What the hell is going on?" You asked her, eyes blown wide in fear and horror.
"You really are new here. Well let me welcome you to Coldwind Farm's very own Rotten Fields.  That guy who nearly killed you? Try not to run into him, he's stronger than he looks and that chainsaw is a death sentence." she said, she looked young, but stress aged her features. Her hair was in two messy braids. "I'm sorry if I'm not making a lot of sense, but this is what you need to know for right now. Live to get back to the campfire and I'll tell you what I can. Let's go. He'll circle back around soon."
With that she walked off to where she'd previously been hiding, behind some old dilapidated wooden structures. You weren't sure what their purpose was besides hiding. Once there she began to lead you along the edge of the area. She didn't speak, but she was listening intently to her surroundings. You got the feeling you needed to do the same.
It became apparent to you why hearing was so important when you heard mechanical movement. Pistons perhaps? You were never all that great with machines.
It was not twenty feet later you found one of the generators, it seemed they were all over the place. A man was already working on it when you passed by, but the girl contined on.
"Shouldn't we help him?" you whispered to her.
"No. The more of us there are in one spot, the easier it is for him to kill us. Not all of us, but the slowest will be hit. Maybe they'll escape and heal, but chances are they'll get hit again and hooked."
"So why are you bringing me along?" You asked.
"Because you're new, you would die in two minutes if I left you on your own. Im not so cruel. None of us are, not yet."
"What's that supposed to mean?" You were hushed again by her as she moved the two of you behind a wall.
"Be quiet." she hissed and sure enough the whir of his chainsaw cut through the air. The only thing more bone chilling than the sound it made was when it collied with flesh or something else in the environment.
You felt chills run up your spine, how could she look so calm as she slowly moved you along.
You came to stop in a room of sorts, three walls, a locker, a generator, and three exits and from the look she gave you it was a good thing. She moved over to the generator and you followed her, you weren't great at fixing things, but you would feel awful if you didn't help.
"I'm not too great at this either, just take it slow and careful.  You'll get the hang of it eventually."
"How long have you been here?"
She didn't respond and you frowned. Maybe it was just a touchy topic or maybe she didn't know. It didn't seem like the sky was getting any lighter nor the moon any lower. It was offputting and you'd looked at the sky for too long, you only realized when the generator in front of you blew up.
She looked up at you, you were only halfway done with the generator. And based on how fast your hearts must have been beating she signaled you to run left and run you did. She did the same in the opposite direction.
You stopped running after a while and couched down behind some other wooden structure. You scanned the area, no sign of the girl, but no sign of him either. It was nerve wracking, the only sounds you could hear was the occasional call of a crow and the wind blowing through the trees.
This was bad, very bad indeed. It was dead silent and you were back to where you had started. Lost, alone, and terrified out of your mind. How long had it been since you had seen her last? It was another few moments when you heard the chainsaw again. It wasnt near you, not that you could tell, but it was loud and it was moving.
The shrill scream of agony broke the silence and you saw a faint red glow in the distance in the silhouette of a person. You watched in horror, miles away, as they were thrown onto a shoulder and hung mercilessly on a hook. Impulse and logic told you to run away, but guilt tore at your heart until you started moving towards them.
The screams sounded masculine, so it wasn't the girl, but it was a person. Someone else just trying to survive, how could you leave them to die? You just wished that you could see where the others were.  Maybe they were hiding, but maybe they were already on their way to help. You felt a pang of sorrow as you passed someone working on a generator. So much for that last thought, you thought to yourself.
It was minutes later that you reached the hook, no heartbeat or chainsaw could be heard. You were as safe as you could be. You stood and carefully looked around your corner to make certain no one was there. You saw nothing. You took a deep breath and walked over to the hook, the poor guy was whimpering and writhing in an agony you couldn't begin to describe. You took a quick last glance around to be sure it was clear and began to help him down. He cried out as you lifted him and you flinched at the sound. There was still no heartbeat, but you could hear the hum of the chainsaw. He was in the general area, just not close enough yet. You glanced around again and continued your task. You didn't dare look the man in his eyes, not until he was off the hook, no pun intended.
Seconds later you had him on the ground and you began to head back the way you came. That seemed like a bad idea because the person you'd seen working on a generator, just finished. You turned instantly and began moving left. All you needed to do was get away from the generator and hook. You were vaguely aware of the person you'd saved following you, but didn't worry. A person was a person and any company was good company.
Or at least that's what you liked to think. You could hear the dropping of what must have been one of the wooden pallets lying around the area. Shortly after, the chilling rev of a chainsaw shot through the air once more. You flinched and hid behind a tree, trying to remain hidden. You still had no idea what was going on. Just that some psychopath was trying to kill you while you worked to fix generators. You didn't really know what the generators did, the girl hadn't explained much.
After the sound of the chainsaw died off you turned to the person next to you. "Are you okay?" you whispered quietly. Who knew when that thing would return.
"I'll be fine after a while, I'm Jake. You?"
"(Name), its a pleasure to meet you. Is there a girl with red hair around here? With braids? And that guy on the generator?"
"So it was you and Meg who blew up that generator."
"Sorry about that.."
"No it's fine, he probably would have found me had you not called him away."
"Right.. but the generator guy?"
"That would be Dwight. You might meet him later."
"Might?" you asked, before being hushed.
"Assuming the two of you survive till we get the doors open."