Chapter 9

Steelpon (Chapter 9)

Gabriel is in the library on the 10th floor trying to concentrate on a book about the old kingdom, but Noah sits across from him making an annoying popping sound with some candy he had gotten from the Ranch. Gabriel is still amazed about how huge the library is. There are many rows and the bookcases reach almost to the ceiling. Pixie Notes bring books on a subject whenever a student asked for them.

"This is so difficult," Gabriel says through a yawn.

"Yeah, you're telling me. Where in the world are Leo and Elu?" Noah asks around his mouthful of candy.

"Leo is helping his dad with something in the master quarters and Elu is studying in her room," Gabriel lies. He knows that they are in their spot in the commons. The three had decided that their place was private and they couldn't have others coming and telling other people about it. Gabriel flag down a Pixie Note that floes by; it turns out to be Eve.

"Yes, Master Gabriel?" she asks.

"Eve, is there anything here about the crud language of trolls?" he asks. Eve makes a face.

"Of course, but those creatures are gross," Eve states.

"No kidding! Please bring me some books if you find, them, though." With that, Eve flies off. She returns with three giant books, and Gabriel and Noah groan when they hit the table.

"Hey, Blake isn't still bullying you is he?" Gabriel questions, flipping open the first book.

"Yes, but he hasn't hit me which is good." Noah repies nervously looking around as if Blake is listening.

"I told you to tell me when they bother you, bro. He is afraid of me because he knows I'm pretty nifty with a blade." Gabriel grins.

"Yeah, I've been watching you, dude. The way you bend the Will inside of you to launch yourself forward when you attack is deadly. Too bad you still can't do basic spells." Noah teases, lifting his glowing finger up.

"Ugh. It makes me mad that you guys have gotten so good that you don't even have to say the spell." Gabriel crumples his paper in frustration.

"You'll get it eventually. How is practice with Maze?"

"It's tough and challenging. Maze likes shooting lighting in my face. I almost forgot! He asked me to get my new sword from the armory today." Gabriel says, jumping up from the table.

"Wait, what about the assignment?" Noah complains.

"We'll get it done when I get back, I swear!" Gabriel slams the book he is reading shut and makes his way to the staircase.

The Armory is above the library on the eleventh floor. It's always loud because Champions go there to forge their own weapons and shields. Gabriel locates Master Max, the head of the Armory.

"Hi, Gabriel. Maze said you would be coming. Master Max is a dwarf with a long blond ponytail that touches his back. His brown apron is stained with smudge and oil.

"Yeah, he wants me to try to use a new blade because the one I am using is a standard long sword, but he thinks it is slowing me down. I think he wants me to try using a saber."

"Hmm, interesting. I think Maze is trying to turn you into your mother. She used an enchanted saber blade." Max pulls out a long box.

"Hi'ya Max!" comes a friendly voice from behind. "I came to get that weapon from you," Lance says showing off his perfect smile. He is wearing his Steelpon Knight armor and has a nasty bruise on his face. Steelpon must be a messy game, Gabriel ponders. He thinks of all the other times that the twins Figgus and Banks came into the room with bruises and cuts. Gabriel had also gotten the chance to meet the other team members of the Bloodsheds' team, Paul Knights and Grace Parker—she was the goalie and the only female on the team.