Chapter 8

Dead Man Walking (Chapter 8)

When Gabriel awakens the next morning, he has butterflies in his stomach. While dressing, he notices two things about Leo: he looks very unhappy to be up this early and he is messing with his hair in the mirror and checking for pimples.

"'Morning. Our first class is Friend or Foe with Maze. We have to go up to the 6th floor," Leo says groggily as he slowly put on his shoes. Gabriel rifles through the stacks of books they had gotten the day before and pulls out the ones required for Maze's class. He hands Leo his book, too, then puts his jacket on. As the boys shuffle out, Gabriel realizes that everyone on their way to class looked extremely tired.

Gabriel notices a couple of people on the stairs at a time. I guess Josh was right about there not being a lot of people on the staircases, he thinks to himself. A group of other freshmen can be seen trudging up the stairs along with Noah. He looks back and gives a tired wave to Gabriel and Leo. When the boys finally clamber off the staircase on the sixth floor, Gabriel isn't sure which of the six black doors to go through.

"I think it's the second one," Leo says leading the way. When they open the door, Gabriel is shocked to see that the classroom is set up like a college class at a big university. The seats are elevated and all looked down at the center where Maze stands smiling.

"'Morning, guys. I hope the others can find their way here." Maze says ushering the boys inside. They take their seats and wait for class to begin.

"Dad told me this class covers which mythical creatures we can trust and work with and the others who are our enemies," Leo says as other freshmen come in and fill the seats.

When Maze begins his lesson Gabriel is overwhelmed to see how many creatures truly exist out in the world. It turns out there are a lot--even two different types of goblins. The original term "goblin" refers to a dark green creature that lives in sewers. They are known for eating people, so they are considered enemies. The other goblin is a "Hobgoblin," which is a lighter green creature known for farming and helping farmers produce larger crops, so they are good guys. Gabriel also discovers that Champions call regular humans "Masks" because they are unable to see the mythical beings around them; humans' brains hide what's really out there, so it's like they're stumbling around blind. But if they choose, a Champion can awaken a human's eyes so they can see magical creatures.

Gabriel thinks about his dad. So that's what he meant about mom.

Gabriel also learns that not all Champions have a profession killing evil creatures. Some work among Masks in the common world or in a place called Witchclock, a large underground magical city shared by Champions and Creatures alike. There is a high court and police system run by beings called Elementals, who are rock humanoids. There is even a large prison further in the earth known as the Inferno. Witchclock even has its own newspaper called the Daily Lookout. When the class finally ends, Gabriel has taken so many notes his hand hurts.

"Most of that stuff I already knew, actually. Lots of our parents tell us stories about those crazy things and we've grown up with it." Leo explains as he holds the door open for students leaving the classroom.

"Well, all this is new to me, and it's exciting!" Gabriel bubbles.

"Gabriel, a word?" Maze had caught up to the duo.

"Yes?"

"I'd like to train you in a certain sword style that may fit your personality." Maze says with a smile.

"Oh, that's awesome! I'd like to learn from you."

"Great, I'll be seeing you soon then." Maze turns and the boys continue walking to their next class.