Chapter 7

The Lion, the Unicorn, and the Angel (Chapter 7)

When the second horn sounds, Rose stands alongside an Asian man in dark robes whose tiny glasses are too small for his face.

"Freshmen, please climb the staircase first with Master Lee. The others will follow with the rest of the masters and myself," Rose announces.

"Let's go. Let's go! This is so exciting," Master Lee says with a profound accent as he begins walking around the table and down the aisle, the freshman trailing obediently. Master Lee stops in front of Gabriel and Leo. "Gabriel Heart and Leon Farish, you two have been selected to go first during the choosing of the stones. You were hand-picked by some Masters who have taken quite an interest in you two. So, Leo, you will go first followed by Gabriel. Now we go."

He motions them to follow closely, and the boys quickly glance at each other nervously as they make their way up the staircase. The climb to the twelfth floor is exhausting; by the time Gabriel reaches the huge golden doors to the Heavens room, he is breathing heavily. Master Lee whispers a spell that make the giant doors swing open, and Gabriel once again can't help but gasp; he sees the clouds in the dark sky and rows of seats forming a circle...it appears to be a small arena. What catches Gabriel's interest the most is what stands in the center of the arena: three huge statues on a circular platform.

The first statue is a gigantic lion whose mouth is wide open with flames spewing out. The second is a female angel whose hands are clasped together in prayer. The third is a unicorn with wings spread wide and its head bowed to the ground.

"Form a line. Form a line. Champions, this is a special day!" Master Lee calls out. Leo shuffles in front of Gabriel.

"Dude, I'm nervous," Leo whispers.

"Who are you telling?" Gabriel says back to him.

"Your nervousness is misguided. This is a very profound moment for us" answers a voice from behind them. When Gabriel turns, he looks into the light hazel eyes of a girl with long brown hair and caramel skin like Noah's, the high elf, except she doesn't have pointed ears.

"And you are?"

"Elu Redbird," she answers confidently, showing a perfect smile.

"Leon Farish, but just call me Leo." Leo gives her a small wave.

"Gabriel Heart, "Gabriel says smiling as he stretches out his hand. She takes his hand with a firm grip.

"Isn't this the chick Smee told us to look after?" Leo whispers when Gabriel turns back around.

"I think so, but if she is, I think she'll be looking after us," Gabriel replies with a shrug.

Above them, the upperclassmen start to fill the seats. It begins to get loud, and Gabriel starts feeling anxious because so many eyes are on him. The 20 Master Champions take their seats down front. The sound of the horn blasts once again. The room grows quiet.

"Where does that sound come from?" Gabriel asks Leo.

Elu jumps in. "It is the Tower, my father told me this tower is a living thing. It was blessed by the Unova before they ascended."

After the arena fills and everyone is seated, Rose stands in front of the assembly.

"Champions, the choosing of the stones is about to begin. Let us pay witness to this special moment, it is this moment that will burn in the memories of these new Champions forever." They pause in respect, then she begins to read the first name off of a scroll held in front of her by two Pixie Notes.