Chapter 4

Red as a Rose (Chapter 4)

The bike-ride back to Gabriel's house feels like it takes ages. The whole time he keeps worrying about how his father will react; there is no way his dad will believe him. Gabriel wearily put his bike on the side of the house when he finally got home. Time to get this over with. When he gets to the front door, he lets out a long sigh and puts his hands on the door knob.

The door opens before Gabriel can let himself in. "Gabriel! Thank goodness you're safe!" Isaac swings the door wide open and gives Gabriel a tight hug before pulling him inside and slamming the door behind him.

"Dad, I have a lot to tell you. But you may not believe...." Gabriel stops in his tracks as he steps into the living room to see Molly playing with the red robed woman. Her hood is pulled back to reveal silver hair and the strange glowing marks on her skin.

"Hello, Gabriel," she smiles.

"Hello, Gabriel," Molly repeats in a mocking tone then starts giggling.

Gabriel goes straight for Molly, picks her up, and then rushes away from the woman.

"I don't know how you got in here but you need to leave now," Gabriel shouts angrily.

"No. Rose is staying, Gabriel. And that is no way to treat your godmother," Isaac interrupts calmly as he sits down on the couch next to the woman.

For a moment, Gabriel stares at his father like he was mad. He looks back and forth between the silver haired lady and his dad.

"Godmother?"

Molly slid out of his arms and makes her way back over to the smiling lady.

"Isaac, lay off him. He doesn't know. There is much that he needs to be told." Rose tuts with a sad smile as she was scooping up Molly.

"Yes, I suppose you're right, Rose," Isaac breathes deeply breath as he looks from Rose to Gabriel.

"Son, you may want to take a seat. I think it's time you found out about what your mother really did, or...what she was." Gabriel hesitantly moves over to the opposite couch and sits down.

"Okay, I'm ready," Gabriel mutters nervously. He tries to get comfortable. Isaac nods at Rose, who is clearly having fun playing with Molly.

"Goodness, I can't believe this is not one of Victoria's children, too. She is a feisty one." Rose chuckles and hands the playful Molly to Isaac. Rose smooths her robes and turns her attention to Gabriel.

"Now, what I'm about to tell you is going to seem unbelievable, but it is true and real, and your mother--may she rest in peace--was one of the greats." Rose begins.

Gabriel feels sweat slide down the middle of his back. He half expects this woman to turn into one of those things that he had fought at the school.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. Is this about my mom being in the forces?" he asks calmly.

Rose smiles and continues her speech. "Hold on, young one. Just listen for now. In the beginning, the world was ruled by all types of mystical creatures. Some were good, and some were evil, and humans were nothing but playthings to them. There was no balance of power until three all-powerful beings called Unova came from the heavens and brought order to the world: they were Lygo, master of the blades, A'ro, protector of the bow, and finally Mystiva, keeper of Will. The Unova each picked a certain number of humans who showed a pure and good heart; these humans were marked with the feather of the Phoenix, or rather, the Phoenix mark."