“Yeah, so far, but I have this feeling she’ll show up at the courthouse on that day.”

            “You think the judge would make you go with her?”

            “God, I hope not. My life would be ruined.”

            “What’s the deal with Nikki and Lacy? Are they over the shock now, or are they still acting freaked out?”

            “They’re cool. It’s just everyone else that’s not.” 

            “What do you mean?”

            “That’s a long story. I’m gonna get a blueberry muffin first. You want one?”

            “No, tastes weird with cinnamon coffee.” 

            Tyler got to his feet and patted his pockets. Somewhere in there, he had a wadded up five dollar bill he’d grabbed from atop his dresser before leaving. He extracted his cell phone from his pocket and laid it on the table.

            “You should keep your money in your wallet,” Devin suggested.

            “No need,” Tyler said when he came up with the bill. “Sure you don’t want anything?”

            “I’m good.” 

            Because the crowd thickened up since they’d come in, it took a little longer for Tyler to get through the line the second time.         

            “Who’s Brandon?” Devin asked as soon as Tyler returned to the table.

            Tyler frowned at him. “What?”

            Devin held up Tyler’s cell phone. “Who’s Brandon, and why’s he sending you a text message that says ‘hey hottie’?” 

            Tyler narrowed his eyes. “Why are you reading my text messages?”

            “Why don’t you just answer the question? What are you hiding? Is this Brandon guy the reason I haven’t heard from you all week?”

            “What are you talking about? I called you this week.”

            “Yeah, once, after you didn’t talk to me for almost four days.”

            “You called me a bitch and hung up on me.”

            “I said you were acting like a bitch.”

            “Right, that’s way better.”

            “Don’t try to turn this around on me, Ty. I’m not the one that has other guys texting me and calling me a hottie.”

            “I can’t help what he texts me.”  

            “Why’d you give him your number?”            

            “Look, we’re just friends. It’s not like we’re fucking.”

            “Good to know I’m not the only one you’re holding out on,” Devin sneered.

            Tyler snatched his cell phone from Devin’s hand and jumped from the table. “I’m outta here.”

            “If you leave, I’m not coming after you again.”