Chapter 1

~~~ Ali's POV ~~~

I was floating in familiar darkness.

Pain was coursing through my body.

My head throbbed and my eyes stung.

. . .

did I have to endure this every time?

---

In the world of werewolves, there is only one Mother Of Luna and she is always the only daughter born of any alpha across the globe. She lives her life as the Mother, possessing special gifts to aid our kind, until she eventually grows old and passes away, when a new daughter is then born to another alpha somewhere and she becomes the Mother Of Luna for her generation.

Nineteen years ago I was born, making me the only living daughter of an alpha and also the Mother Of Luna of our time.

---

I felt the pain begin to recede and I took a deep breath of relief, though I dared not open my eyes yet.

I had just had a premonition - one of my various abilities I possess due to my title. Unfortunately they can consume me at any time and they cause a lot of pain, but I'm more than happy to endure it for the sake of my kind. They are nearly always a warning for an attack of some sort which means I can alert the pack being targeted and ultimately save lives.

Definitely worth the pain.

"Ali, honey?" I heard my mother ask tentatively as her hand cupped my cheek.

It was cool against my skin and I knew my temperature had spiked again - something that had only happened the past couple of times.

I'd have to deal with that later, but for now I kept quiet about it and braced myself before opening my eyes.

I couldn't help the sharp gasp that escaped my lips with the sudden pain.

Not that I'd seen it myself but when I had a premonition my eyes apparently turned white, then started to bleed. I reached up and stroked the skin under my eyes, my fingers coming away red as usual. I knew my vision would be tainted scarlet for the next ten minutes or so.

My Luna kicked in.

"Mom," I said turning to her, finding myself slumped in a chair in our suite,"you need to get to alpha Foster! There's a pack of four rogues heading towards his southern boarder and his patrols aren't going to pick up their scent," I gripped her hand with urgency and swallowed hard at the memory of the vision,"if they get past they'll attack the school."

Like the rest of my family, my mom was well versed in what to do in these events - handing me a damp flannel for my headache, she nodded solemnly and without wasting any time rushed purposefully from the room.

I sighed happily as my Luna instincts told me we'd notified them in time and I laid back on the sofa, my loose blonde curls fanning out on the cushion. I placed the flannel on my forehead and waited for my vision to fix itself.

Very convenient, my wolf noted to me.

I know, I said to her, I wish we were this close to the pack alphas all the time.

My family and I were currently attending the American Alpha Summit.

It's an annual gathering that sees all of America's alphas come together to update territory boundaries, negotiate treaties and other alpha business I honestly just try to avoid. Being Mother means I am naturally calm and reserved in nature - intended to diffuse conflict and tension between testosterone fuelled wolves. My presence is supposedly very calming but it is not through any effort of my own.