"Cat! Save me!"

As always, Emily retreated to call on her fail-safe-back-up for help. With a resigned sigh, Cat tore her bespectacled gaze away from the thick tomb she had her nose buried in to peer above the rim pointedly at Lucy. It was the sheer nonchalance of her gaze that snuffed the fire out of her. Only Cat had mastered that dead bored look to such a finely-honed weapon that it could cut through the most passionate of situations to ignite lucidity.

Lucy responded, blinking away her irrational temper to release her hold of Emily. With a well-placed shove, Emily Little was successfully dislodged off Lucy's bed. The wholly of insults that escaped her lips was nothing unusual. Lucy turned to her side and deliberately tugged a pillow over her head pretending to go back to sleep. It did nothing to block out the sound, but the light was adequately snuffed out for her purposes.

Immediately, images of Jace Neil flooded her mind. Tall, rugged. His six pack abs glistening in the sun, slicked wet fresh from the surf with the damp strands of his sun-kissed blond hair ruffled by the wind. It was a scene from memory. One of many to haunt her doggedly. With a muffled groan, Lucy buried her face further into her pillow. Trying uselessly to snuff out all thoughts of the irresistible Jace.

It's not as if Lucy wanted to think of him. To all intents and purposes Lucy was a forward-thinking kind a girl. She didn't do pondering over her past. But Jace had a way of persistently haunting her past, present and future. Seeping into her thoughts, at the most unexpected of moments. Lucy had long conceded she had no control of her thoughts when it came to Jace.

A commotion of footsteps running out her door was the signal she needed to draw her head back up for some much-needed air. Emily had left. Ran out for reinforcements undoubtedly. But who? Woof, the dog? It was unlikely she would be back with mom in tow. Lucy drew in a ragged sigh. Emily and Jace? She couldn't help a shudder at the thought. That and twinge of something else she didn't want to investigate too closely. But Jace as Emily's latest infatuation was not unexpected. She'd seen the signs coming.

Emily's none too subtle sighs whenever Jace was about was not the least of it, but Lucy had thought she had some time still before she had to deal with it. Then again, she was surprised Emily's infatuation hadn't dawned on her earlier. Lucy, herself, had been all of sixteen when she first fell head over heels in....

The patter of approaching feet told her solitude was once again about to be compromised. Invaded by her exuberant family. Emily was on her way back. With a muffled groan Lucy turned to stare out the window.

Melbourne insistently beckoned from her window. The light from the morning sun lit the room bright demanding she partake in the beautiful day by doing more than slumbering indoors. Outside, the cockatoo pecked away insistently on her window. The regular alarm nature had sent over and that she had been diligently ignoring. Like clockwork, the cockatoo appeared in a barrage to knock on her window and demand scraps of bread every morning. The white feathered birds were plump off her leavings. But they could wait. Or better yet, fly away. She was not up to it this morning. It was the day after Christmas with a long weekend ahead and the sleepy Melbourne suburb, along with Lucy, would be slow in waking.

With the rush for Christmas thankfully over and the requisite presents exchanged, it was time to enjoy the lazy week ahead before Melbourne got set to party hard into the New Years.

Emily, the youngest of the Little sisters was always, more than a handful. Glamorous and full of fun, falling in and out of love was a common occurrence for Emily. With her good looks, Emily turned heads wherever she went. Infatuated with just about every boy who paid her the slightest attention, she gave them all a run for their money. High maintenance or not, Emily expected the very best and had no qualms demanding it. But that was not the worst of it, Emily was convinced every boy she met was similarly affected, even Jace Neil.