White hot heat burst through my cheeks. "Quit teasing. You're not serious."

"I am serious. You have no idea how hungry I am for you."

The conviction in his voice didn't make me doubt him.

I swallowed hard and repeated, "I'd like to take a shower, alone."

He studied me for a few seconds and groaned, "Go and take your shower. I promise not to bother you. I'll just lie here and imagine I'm with you instead, then when you come back I will go and take a cold shower."

I quickly ducked out the room and headed towards the bathroom. My heart was still hammering inside my chest. Holy shit, I think I needed a cold shower too. I grabbed a towel off the side and some clean clothes from my room and had a quick shower.

I'd hope that the shower would cool me down, but instead, I spent my time in the bathroom secretly wishing that Casper would have a change of heart and join me. After throwing on a dress and a pair of pumps, I headed into the kitchen.

Sally was sitting at the breakfast counter amongst some cardboard boxes of packed items. At first, she didn't seem to notice me, but when I touched her shoulder she asked coldly, "Did you sleep with him?"

Her question caught me off guard and mortified I replied, "No, of course not."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank the stars. Sleeping with him will only strengthen the bond and make it harder for you to leave him when the time comes."

"What do you mean?"

"We're not staying here. I have a plan to get us out of here. We will need to stick with these guys for a few more days but then we cut them loose. I swear to you, Sophie, I'm not going to let him trap you and force you to be his pet."

His pet...

Sally picked up her favourite teapot and carefully packed it inside the box. "I know it will mean starting over again from nothing, but at least we will have our freedom and each other."

"Yes, I guess so," I said dryly.

I couldn't explain it, but the idea of leaving Casper suddenly made me feel very uneasy, even panicky. My throat felt it was closing back up again, and I wanted to retreat back into the bedroom and bury my face into his shirt.

"I know it's hard. I've had to do this myself. I'll explain everything to you at a better time, but please believe me when I say that even if you love Casper, it would never work out. The person you are, and the person he is, means that you can never be together. It's better to go now then spend the next ten years working out that truth for yourself."

The bitterness in her voice made me pause and ask, "What happened to you?"

She lower her head and replied, "A man happened. I thought he was the love of my life, but I was wrong. Leaving him almost killed me, which is why you need to keep away from Casper. Do not drink from his blood and do not go near him. There is a bond between you and him which you will need to sabotage. It will make the separation easier for the both of you."

There was a connection between us, which went beyond chemistry and physical attraction. I don't know how to describe it other than all consuming, like a wildfire. I felt the fire inside me and I didn't know how to stop it.

I shook my head and whispered, "I don't know if I can leave him."

Sally gently squeezed my hand. "It will feel like you are cutting off your own limb, but you will be able to do it. It's painful but not impossible. Now, come and help me pack. It will help take your mind off the matter."

I nodded blindly, feeling everything and nothing at once.