➰TWO➰

Rylah

I woke the next morning at precisely six, to a text message from an unknown number.

Be there in twenty. Be ready, doll.

Who..?

I was frightened by the mysterious message I had received. I decided not to respond, but to get up and get ready. When I had finished showering, I crept downstairs fully dressed and make-up on. Mum wasn't awake, but Harry was. My step-father was pattering around in the kitchen, and I wasn't sure what he was doing until he turned with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Oh! Rylah, I was about to come wake you up. Here," he said, handing me the coffee cup. It was a very light shade of brown, hinting that there was a whole lot of creamer in it. Just how I like it.

"Oh, thanks," I said, taking a sip, "just how I like it, actually."

He seemed surprised. "Oh really? I just assumed because that's how I like my coffee. I usually put a little more sugar in it, though."

I chuckled and caught sight of Mum's phone. If anything happens to me, I'd like her phone to ring. I want to be able to call for help.

I dashed over to her phone and turned it on. Just what I thought, it was on silent. I quickly turned on the ring.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked, looking at me inquisitively.

I started, my eyes wide. "Oh, um, just checking the time."

He coughed awkwardly. "Your phone is in your back pocket." He gestured to the stove, where the time was told in bright green numbers. 6:15. I have five more minutes before the Unknown Sender arrives. "It's also right there."

My hand flew to my back pocket. "Oh! Uh..." I trailed off, trying to find an excuse for why I was on my mother's phone. I knew she wouldn't care, but Harry was a different story. The whole trying to be a dad thing was new to him.

"Rylah," he chuckled, "Cat got your tongue?"

I blushed. "Um, yeah, I wasn't thinking just now. I just thought..." I started to explain, but thankfully Mum saved me by entering the kitchen.

"Hey honey," She said, smiling at Harry. He leaned forward and left a kiss on my mother's lips. I loved that despite their ten-year age gap, they were able to get along so well. Harry really did love her.

My phone dinged in my pocket, and I pulled it out. It was another text from the Unknown Sender.

I'm here, doll, where are you? Don't make me come in...

The cryptic messages scared the shit out of me, so I quickly came up with an excuse to leave. "I, uh, have tutoring this morning. Maria is picking me up. I gotta leave," I said, and my mum came in for a hug.

"Okay, honey, see you later!" She said cheerfully, and I made my great escape. I slipped out the door, grabbing my purse on the way.

A large, white Mercedes sat in the drive, still running. There was no one in the drivers seat, and I wondered why. But then I found out when I saw the person standing beside the car.