➰ONE➰

Rylah

The day I met Jesse James Rutherford, I was angry, partially crying, and soaked in coffee. That was, of course, how my first day of school at Archwood Prep had to go. I mean, I am Rylah Miles.

It all started with Maria Wells, my best friend. I had met her the day I moved in with my mother at the beginning of the summer, and we had hit it off immediately. She lives next door to my mum's huge, ridiculous mansion of a home. Honestly, I was getting tired of people staring as they walked by every time I went out to fetch the mail.

She was trying to urge me to talk to the newest hottest boy, Zayn Malik. We were sitting in the most open place in the cafeteria, where there was absolutely no privacy. Apparently she thought Zayn was "my type," but he was far from it. Sure, she may have been the only girl I knew at this new school, and I wasn't willing to drop her just yet, but Maria was getting on my nerves.

"Rylah," she whined, "I just want some good word in so I can try to talk to him."

"I knew it!" I exclaimed. "Don't use me, darling, because I'd hate to ruin the thing we've got going here. You've made it far enough up on my list to be considered a 'best friend'."

She pouted. "Okay, whatever."

"Whoa! Watch out!" A passerby shouted, a bit too late. Coffee descended upon me, soaking me through to the bone in hot, warm liquid. It burnt my hand, leaving a red fester and bringing tears to my eyes. I attempted to look up at my attacker, and locked eyes with the hottest man alive, holding a now empty coffee cup in his hand.

His spiked, dirty blond hair and tattoos covering every inch of exposed skin screamed bad-boy. I liked what I saw, and would make an effort to speak if I weren't soaked in coffee.

He seemed not to realize what he had done, because his face remained emotionless. He just stood there, staring at me with a piercing gaze that even I couldn't maintain.

"Yo, Jesse, seriously?" A voice called from off to the right, and Zayn Malik appeared before my eyes, looking genuinely worried for my health, unlike his friend, "Jesse."

He seemed to snap out of his trance, because he literally flinched at the sight before him. I just sat there, glaring at him as the entire school watched.

Zayn grabbed my arm and pulled me up. "Let's get you clean."

I nodded sheepishly. "Thank you."

Maria jumped at the chance to talk to Zayn. "I'll come with. That is my friend," she said.

As Zayn led me away, Jesse's eyes followed me. I glared fiercely, but it seemed to have no effect on him. Soon, though, he was out of my sight, and I could no longer try to scare him.

"Here, Ry." Maria handed me her gym bag. "The clothes are clean. We're basically the same sizes anyway."

"Thank you." I gave her a hug. I dashed into the nearest stall and quickly changed. Maria had provided me with a pair of yoga pants and a PINK T-shirt, and I was grateful. Thankfully, no coffee got on my shoes or in my hair.

I exited the bathroom, catching sight of Maria and Zayn waiting patiently for me. They actually have seemed to strike up a conversation, because they were laughing about something when I approached.

"There she is, nice and clean again," Zayn said, shooting me a friendly smile. Maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought he was. "Hey, would you like to sit with us at lunch tomorrow?"

I considered saying no, as I figured that this Jesse person probably sits with them, and I'd like to avoid him at all costs to prevent further embarrassment. But before I could say a thing, Maria answered.

"Of course Rylah and I would join you," she said, giving me a knowing look.

Well, I take that back. I don't think I'll be able to avoid this guy.

➰➰➰

I got home that day groaning.

"Honey, what's up?" My mum approached me, her face crinkled in worry. "What happened to your clothes?"

I held up the still-soggy mess in my hand. "I got soaked in coffee by literally the hottest man alive," I whined.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Of course! That is not how you want to make your first impression!" My voice squeaked a little.

"Go rest, love, you're clearly stressed." She nudged me towards the stairs.

I rubbed my temples. "Where's Harry?"

Harry Styles was my step-father, and literally the best father figure I've had, like, ever. Since my father has problems and cannot currently take custody of me, Harry was the only thing I had to a father.

"Work, hon," She said like it was obvious. "He always is."

"Sorry, mum, I'm just super exhausted."

"Go rest."

She didn't have to tell me twice. I jogged up the stairs and plopped down onto my bed, opening my phone and sending a text to Maria.

What is that guy's name?

She responded very quickly.

Who? The guy that soaked you in coffee?

Um, yeah, I typed.

Oh, honey, that's Jesse Rutherford, I think. He's the bad kind, girl. Don't get involved with him.

Too late for that, Maria.

--

Urg why am I still awake I cannot sleep I have insane problems!

I am so tired yet I SO CANNOT SLEEP

HELLP

PLEASE

SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS

OMG get it's five SOS's

5SOS YALL

XOXO