Stacy glanced away from him to stare at the flickering tv screen. It was a five-star hotel. The service shouldn't have been this bad. The Grammy Award flickered live on screen. They would be there, in the melee of celebrities. Mingling with the who's who of the industry. Knyte might even win his nominee for best newcomer. And where did that leave her, stuck here in their hotel room, baby-sitting their brats.

Enough was enough. It was time to puncture a hole in their fool's paradise. A hole large enough to fit one brawling baby. "Alright then, take one. And yes, fuck me first. Fuck me all over this god-awful place."

His chuckle rang out again long and lengthy and then he was reaching for the vivacious blond. He didn't understand what Knyte saw in Mary Shubert Starr. Not when Stacy clearly had all the sexual allure. Then again, he couldn't understand why Knyte had married at all. Limiting himself to just one of twin sisters, not when he could have had them both for the taking. The demure Mary and the flashy Stacy. Hell, he could have fucked them both and died a happy man. But no, Knyte chose to lock himself away in a lifelong commitment to just the one. A mistake he himself would never make. Mary Shubert Starr had been his twin to fuck first. But he could just as easily settle for fucking the other. They both looked alike anyhow. What did it matter either way? Chuckling easily, the masked man reached for Stacy's unresisting frame and proceeded to lay her bare to his gaze.

It was five hours later and well past midnight, when the alarm was raised, and the police called in and Blaze Starr, son to the up and coming celebrity singer Knyte Starr, was officially reported missing.

Eight years on

"Mama?"

Eight-year-old little Lucy called out in a hush whisper, shaking her fizzy head of golden brown hair staring confusedly at the kids staring back at her. She held tighter to her mama's hand and titled her head to stare up at her wondering if she noticed the odd stares Lucy was getting. Her amber gold eyes winced against the flare of light from the sun that glared back at her. But she could still make out her mama's angelic halo of golden blond curls and when she turned to look down at her, the bright baby blues of her mama's eyes.

But it was not the colour of her mama's hair and eyes that had Lucy clenching her little fingers tighter about her mama's, it was the fizzy texture of her own hair and the difference in the colour of their skin.

Lucy stared up imploringly at her mama wanting to leave the party, but her mama was oblivious to her silent pleas. So Little Lucy, tore her hand from her mama's grasp and took off into the crowd determined to run away from the unkind stares the other kids were giving her. But she should have known better than to run from her mama's protection. They came whenever she was alone. They came to taunt her, to call out hurtful words at her, to make fun of her hair. To make fun of the colour of her skin.

"Running away already, Lucy?" The freckled face boy was her regular bully.

Lucy firmed the sudden wobble to her chin and lifted her button nose up a notch.

"I am not running," she lied blatantly.

"Oh liar! She most certainly is running Jack," called out a little girl with a luxurious length of ebon dark hair.

"Well she should run, Sally. She should run away. She doesn't belong here. Everyone knows she's adopted." Laughed Jack. "Did you know that, Lucy? Did you know you were adopted?"

Lucy's chin wobbled threateningly, but it was really the blurring glimmer of her gaze that had her worried. She knew it wouldn't take much more to have her turn on the taps, but Lucy as a rule, didn't cry. She was stronger than that. Sure, she had wondered too if she was adopted, she wondered every single day. But her mama would have told her if she was. If not her mama then her papa would have done so, surely.