epilogue

[21]
➶ epilogue

"sing to me 'til i fall asleep,
like the way you did when you were still mine"

"sing to me 'til i fall asleep,like the way you did when you were still mine"

here lies the beloved
jeon haeun
1997-2021

rain pouring softly from the sky, the boy stood still in front of his woman's grave. Legs shaking and tears pooling in his eyes, it was the twenty first month ever since she died and he couldn't just help but want to visit her grave even if it meant meeting the cold, lifeless tombstone where her wife's name is engraved unto.

He knew that it was crazy and futile to still be living in past while her death happened a long time ago but . . . the man just couldn't help and he misses her. The want to see her slowly eats him up even if it meant walking in the middle of the night in the rain just so he could visit her grave.

"haeun, I love you"

He would always find himself mutter the words even if no one would ever respond but . . . weirdly enough, everytime he will speak of those words infront of the grave, a feeling of relief will ran down his spine and a small yet pure smile will spread across his lips unknowingly.

Jeon jeongguk is a loyal man who never looked at any other woman even right after his wife died. despite having a face and body which is a head turner—he never became fazed of anyone and replacing his beloved wife was always out of the question.

"are you okay up there? I know it's already late at night and it's ridiculous of me to walk here in the rain but i just missed you . . . again. I know that if i could see you right now, i'm sure you'd be ranting in my ears again but i—"

Breathe hitching

"—i just wanted to visit your grave again. I want to see you so bad, honey"

Smiling to himself and slowly placing the vase with a fresh set of flowers, the man rearranged the boquet to prevent it from falling.

"it's the twenty first month since your death and i just had the urge to  see you. Do you remember how much that number meant to us?"

Looking at the grave for a subtle second, jeongguk started speaking once again as his voice seemed to break every now and then. The said man struggled to keep his composure intact.

"at twenty one, we first met each other"

"on the same number you became my girlfriend, my wife and also your death . . .  everything about the number 21 seemed to link to you, baby"

Shivering in the cold, the man continued to speak

"and i think i still have another 21 years before i could finally see you"

"are you doing fine there at heaven or are you right here beside me, watching over me?"

Eyes pooling with tears he could not stop himself from breaking down.

"i miss you so much, my love. as much as i just want to see you right now, i don't know how and i can't possibly take my life away or we won't really meet up. I—i'm tired of waking up knowing that you're already gone"

"i love you haeun"

finally pouring all his feelings out, soon enough the man found his way leaving the tombstone of his wife. jeongguk dreadfully walked his way towards his "used to be shared apartment" with haeun.

The man just couldn't let go of the house.

Marching his way on his house, the man was in deep thought and he would be lying if i said that he wasn't distracted and wasn't paying much attention to his surroundings.

Thoughts of his wife clouded his mind—he suddenly remembered how the two both loved it when it rains. Despite many people hating the rain, the couple loved the gloomy weather as it was a perfect time to just cuddle into each other's warmth.

Oh how he wished that it could happen once more.

Crossing the pedestrian lane, still deep in thought—jeongguk never could've seen the impending danger that would stumble upon him.

Screeching sounds filling up his ears and eyes widening in shock, who would've thought that jeongguk would meet his end?

getting hit by a truck has a high possibility of never surviving and so did jeongguk.

"it was twenty one minutes and not twenty one years, my love"

Eyes flickering and heart thrashing in his ribcage, jeongguk sat up almost too quickly as his ears caught the sound of an all too familiar voice which he missed and longed to hear  for how much he could've remembered.

Eyes adjusting to his surroundings, all he could ever see was pure blinding white objects—white sofa, white room and when his eyes trailed on the window, all he could ever see was a blue background.

He felt weird and a sense of deja vu ran in his body, just where was he? Is this the hospital?

"you're so reckless and careless  . . . kookie"

hearing the hymn once more, his eyes snapped to where the voice came from and the sight couldn't just help but make him tear up.

"oh my god," speechless and tongue tied, the man couldn't formulate the right words to say as his hand couldn't help but cover his mouth from the inevitable shock.

"i—"

"we finally met . . . my kookie"

there infront of him, sat beside him was the only person he had been longing to meet.

"is this—"

"this isn't a dream anymore, my love"

Tears pooling in his eyes, he couldn't helo but clash his lips unto the woman—just wanting to feel her again for being away from him.

He missed her so damn much and he had to endure the torturous pain for who knows how hard was to deal—but all of it was worth and now . . . he finally had her, for eternity.