"Where were you guys going to meet?"

•••
"I'm done! We're done!" I shout.

(Boyfriend) rubs his face. Junko is hanging on him, like she's his scarf.

"Awe baby, lemme kiss that. Make it better." The pink-haired girl purrs.

I roll my eyes and walk out. I'm not terribly broken up over our terminated relationship. In fact, I'm pretty okay with it. He was an asshole anyway.

"Oh! (Y/N)! Funny running into you here."

It's almost like a bad teen movie, or a cliche book. The person I really like, and the person I need right now is there in front of me, like a god given gift.

"Hey Makoto." I sigh.

His eyebrows furrow at you in concern. "(Y/N)? Did something happen?" The hopeful boy asks.

"(Boyfriend) and I are finished. He was cheating on me. With Junko!" I shout.

Makoto looks taken back.

"Oh." He breaths.

"I knew he was off. Things like this happen too often! I'm just meant to be a loner, aren't I?" I cry out.

All these years on my own.
Fight my fight all alone.

"No! I'm sure there's someone out there for you." Makoto nervously spewed.

If Makoto:
1) Liked you
2) Was much more slick.

It would be a perfectly good opportunity to confess his love to me. Unfortunately, none of the things apply, so I'm stuck suffering.

"Hah, yeah Mako. The one person that I like is never gonna like me! And I'm too freak to get anyone to like me." I mumble.

I slide down the wall, and ball up. Head in my knees. Heart in my stomach. I feel so... gross. Mako won't like me, no one will. My boyfriend didn't like me.

Despair.

"Here, (Y/N). Let's skip out on the rest of the day."

I look up at Makoto. He's reaching his arm out.

Baby you're the highlight of my lowlife.

"You? Skip?" I scoff.

"Yeah... If it'll help you feel better. We can go get some fro-yo." Makoto says with a smile.

You grab his hand.

"Sure."

Take a shitty day and make it alright.

We manage to get out of the jail that they call "Hopes Peak Academy". We talk and giggle as we walk down the street. It's nearly- nearly too cliche. It would be too picture perfect if he had his hand in mine, or if he tried to steal a few glances. But this is not a case of love for me, no, it's just Makoto Naegi being a good, hopeful friend.

"I'm glad to see you smiling." Makoto says, as we walk into the fro-yo place.

I smile even wider. "I guess you do that to me." I tell him.

Makoto smiles. "Oh! Glad to make you happy!"

"I really forgot about everything. Thanks, Mako." I say, still beaming at the boy.

Oh in every circumstance, yeah, you make the difference.

After we get our fro-yo, and he pays like the sweetheart he is, we sit on a fountain.

"What should we do for the rest of today?" I ask. "Or are you slowly getting bored of me?"

Makoto chuckles. "I could never get bored of you! I could hang out with you forever."

"Then you should!" I blurt, then I cover my mouth.

"What?" Makoto tilts his head to the side, curious.

Should I tell him? Should I pour out my  emotions? God this could change everything! Our friendship, my life!

"I mean, uh-" I pause. "I like you Makoto okay! Gosh!"

"Oh." Makoto breaths. "Oh? Oh...? OH!"

It's tempting to invent a time machine, then go back and fix the mistake that is... this.

"Another relationship ruined." I mumble.

"Ruined?" Makoto questions. "Not at all!"

"How! You probably don't feel the same..." I exclaim.

"I... can't say that I don't." Makoto sheepishly mutters.

"Oh. Oh? Oh...? ...OH?!"

Makoto chuckles. "Yeah. If you didn't have a boyfriend... and if you didn't  just go through a breakup, I would ask you to be my girlfriend instantly." Makoto confesses.

"I would of- well tried- to break up with him for you!" I squeak. "I didn't like him half the time."

"Really? Why didn't you leave him then?" Makoto questions.

"He always gave me a stupid reason to stay... and I fell for it!" I groan.

Makoto pulls me into a hug. I feel my face heat up a billion degrees. I hug him back, kind of hesitantly.

"I'll make sure to give you a real reason to stay." Makoto whispers to me.

"Mako... you are my reason to stay."

Baby you're the highlight of my lowlife.

Lowlife.

•••
OOF I HAVEN'T WRITTEN IN A WHOLE OOF IM SORRY I NEED REQUESTS THAN KS