"Does the law ever specify that the regent has to stay on the island?" I inquired. "I mean, I'm no expert but that sounds like a plausible loophole ..."

He gave my hand a squeeze and beamed as if he expected no less from me than the answer to all of his problems. "Perfect. Thank you, Sav. I don't suppose I could persuade you to take a job as my advisor?"

"No, no, no, I'm not ever leaving the patrol," I exclaimed. His smile took on a sadness and it struck for the first time that he would be leaving, and he didn't even have a choice in the matter.

The realisation must have been written on my face, because he said, "I always knew this wasn't permanent. But I've found my own replacement, and I don't think you'll have any cause to complain."

I raised an eyebrow, but he didn't elaborate any further. However nice or competent or amazing they were, I didn't want a stranger joining our patrol. Didn't want anyone to take Kai's place. Would they take over as leader, too? I certainly didn't want the job.

We fell into silence for a moment. Then Kai caught sight of the new arrivals and heaved a sigh. "I suppose Natalia is here?"

"Your fiancée?" I teased, but my heart wasn't in it. "Yeah. Nate's with her."

I found myself staring at Kai. His jaw was tight, his hand squeezing a little tighter now, his eyes empty. Something was up. It didn't take a genius to figure out what.

"This is the part," he began slowly, "when I would offer to break my engagement to Natalia for you and say to hell to with consequences. It happens in all the movies, doesn't it? And I always used to think how selfish they were, risking everyone else for the sake of their own happiness."

I felt panic frothing up, faster than I could handle. "Kai—"

He shook his head. "Please, just let me finish. I get it now. I understand that it's not for them, it's for the person they love, the person whose happiness is more important than a nation. The ultimate test of devotion, I suppose."

"Kai!" I cut across. "Don't you dare do what it sounds like you're going to do."

Kai flicked my ear, and I watched a little grin slip onto his face. "Sav, let me finish. I was about to say that I can't. Maybe it was the way I was raised, maybe it's just my conscience, doesn't even matter which. So I'm sorry — and I almost wish I could — but I can't."

"Well, good, because I think I'd hate you if you chose me over the whole island and started a war in the bargain."

He found that incredibly funny, for some reason, and laughed for a good minute straight. There was relief in it, too. Relief that I hadn't expected him to make such a crappy decision. The two of us were well matched, I realised, but romance was off the table, so...

"Friends, then?" I asked, extending a hand.

Kai grinned at me and shook it. "Friends," he agreed.

We didn't stay on the balcony long after that. Kai had to fetch his siblings and find them somewhere safe to sleep (Zara's patrol ended up standing guard), greet Natalia and deal with the thousand tiny matters which demanded his attention. Reunited with the rest of the patrol, I acted as a bodyguard for hours straight. Until Kai caught me dozing off and ordered me to bed — and I could hardly disobey a direct order, now could I?

***

I woke up to dawn light and an intruder.

I had found my room exactly as I had left it and happily tumbled into bed. It was the first time I had slept in days and days, so I didn't really appreciate it being cut short. Whoever it was hadn't been quiet about opening the door, and I cracked open an eye to see who dared disturb my rest.