3 ~ Ready, Player?

Hey, reader! :)

Hey, reader! :)

If you're reading up to here, I hope you're enjoying it so far. I have a little anouncement, and I'm sorry if you are disappointed. But it'll be fine soon.

This chapter, along with chapter 4 and 5, are being rewritten. It will be changed drastically.

So the below - it doesn't necessarily follow the plot anymore. Feel free to read on if intrigued though. If you are interested in reading this once I'm done rewriting, please do put it in your library, or give a follow as I will be posting on my "conversations" board once I'm done so you know.

Thanks and have a great day!

___________

Rapid, feverish breathing.

With a tug, the headset unclasps from Hunters's head and clatters to the ground. I hear a thunk on the concrete. Its lights dim and fade. He massages his forehead, knuckles going white as he squeezes the arms of the chair as if to steady himself. I hear his shallow, rapid breaths, as if he had been holding his breath underwater too long.

10 minutes into the game, he is ejected.

I immediately pick up the headset. Turning to Jason, heart racing, I stop myself before I examine his torso. The way he is breathing: you couldn't help but think he was punched in the gut. Not like I know how it feels, anyway. Even though fights regularly break out in the hallways, I'm lucky I haven't got tangled in one yet.

I blush. I remember that this is a virtual game, and no physical injuries could be induced. I glance at his face and thank the gods that he couldn't see the red creeping up my cheeks.

"You okay?" I ask. As gently and in the least-awkward manner as I can, I release his hands from the chair. The tips of his fingers are turning blue from grasping it too hard. His limbs are spread out awkwardly, so I nudge them into a better position with one foot. "Just relax, it's me."

"Is it over? Is it over," He mumbles under his breath, not opening his eyes.

"It's over."

He opens his eyes, almost hesitantly, and gives me that sheepish smile again. He removes his fingers from the chair, moving them with an idle fascination. "Sorry." He says, "I got freaked out."

"I saw," I pat his back mockingly. The movement feels new to me. Because to be honest, I'm not the sarcastic type.

"I bet I just screamed like a Sector A girl finding a prom dress."

I laugh. Prom dresses and parties - their way of life, drastically different to ours. I cringe at the thought. I think I would hate it in tight, fancy clothes or flowy dresses.

I smile slightly at Hunter's embarrassment. The only smile he, or Sena, can draw out of me.

While this was the biggest reaction I've ever seen from the normally chill Jason, it wasn't completely unusual. We've played games where his reaction wasn't too different.