Real Life

A breeze blew through my golden hair as I made my way down to the Great Hall for dinner. I was set, and my trap was waiting to be sprung. All I needed to do was infiltrate the Slytherins.

I sat at the Gryffindor table, facing the Slytherins. Abraxas was already seated with a plate of turkey in front of him, and he looked up, just as I was looking at him. He smirked at me, obviously finding it laughable that I was caught staring at him, and motioned sarcastically for me to join him at the table, but his smirk disappeared when I actually moved to join him. I reached his table with all eyes in the Hall trained on me.

"You are actually serious?" He asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

"Yes, I am," I said blankly as I sat down across from him. Other Slytherins were glaring at me from the corner of their eyes, and I could tell that I wasn't necessarily welcome.

"Well, okay then," he replied, exasperated at my abrupt decision. "You do know that this is absolutely unheard of, right Sunshine?"

"Of course I do," I said, with a mischievous smile.

I did know. What I had just done was unheard of. I wasn't actually sure if mixing Slytherins and a Gryffindor at the same table was even allowed in the laws of magic. The repercussions of switching tables could be astronomical in the future. But I had to infiltrate the Slytherins somehow. And this wasn't real life, at least not mine, right?

My smirk was all a mask. In truth, I was terrified at where I was, and at the burden I put on myself. Become friends with Slytherins? Slytherin house, a nightmare in my waking hours back in my time, and I was about to join them. I had joined them.

The only good part of this time so far was the kindness that  Abraxas has shown me. He seemed to have no real agenda, although as a Slytherin, he may have an ulterior motive to befriending me that he's just hidden very well. I have an ulterior motive to befriending him.

Even Dumbledore has not been a comfort to me when I saw him. Yes, he was kind, but he had that twinkle in his eye, like he knew something more and it irritated me.

"Hello," Abraxas drawled, waving his hand in front of my face, "I said 'Are you gonna eat that?'" Abraxas questioned, gesturing at the full plate in front of me. He had already finished his whole plate.

"No," I sighed. Abraxas picked up the plate and put it on top of his empty one.

"Why the long face, Sunshine?" Abraxas questioned, taking a bite out of my turkey leg. He was reminding me of Ron more and more. "Did you just realize the terrible mistake you probably made, joining the enemy?"

Yes. "Not at all."

"Well, if you're going to sit at this table, you cannot ruin any of our fun," he said.

"Yes, and you are all having so much fun right now," I said, looking around the table. Most of the Slytherins had sneers plastered on their faces, primarily directed towards me.

My eye caught Tom Riddle's for just a moment. He looked at me with that same blank look he had given me earlier in Potions. I went to look away, but before I did, I turned straight to him, and gave him a slight eye raise, acknowledging our eye contact. I wanted to make him show some form of humanity. Tom Riddle's dark eyes flickered, and his face changed to a look of apprehension for a fraction of a second.

Mission accomplished. I snickered to myself. I turned back to Abraxas, who hadn't realized anyone else had received my attention in the past moments.

"Slytherins have a different kind of fun. It takes longer and may seem more tedious, Sunshine, but in the end, it's always so much better than any Gryffindor's idea of fun," Abraxas had a glint in his eye that I had seen so many times in Draco Malfoy. It's a wonder that such a sad excuse for a human, Lucius, would come from Abraxas. How had Lucius become such a horrible person with Abraxas as an uncle, or even a father?