Chapter 4

Laney

    I looked in my rearview mirror to see a golden ram truck following closely behind me, at first I thought it was just another driver who was in a hurry so I sped up but it stayed just as close as it was before. I then remembered a conversation I had with Anaiya while at the office. It was the exact same model with tinted windows so I couldn’t see who was inside. I refocused my attention on the road in front of me, I heard Savanna take a deep breath of air which meant she was going to say something but I made a sharp turn cutting her off. The car stayed on my tail so I sped up, turned into Apple Haven Rd., then onto Skates Av. and back onto the main road. I look into my rearview mirror. ‘Lost him.’ I sigh and head straight for Anaiya’s house. I was thirty minutes away, when my phone started ringing so I picked it up.

    “Hello?” I awaited an answer. “Laney it’s me.” I heard Eli answer in a monotone voice. “Eli, what’s wrong?” This had me worried because Eli was known for being a cheerful agent, not serious and he was basically an open book so even when he sounded slightly upset that was worrying. “Are you okay?” I was right, he sounded worried and a bit upset. “I’m fine, why?” “There was a shooting close to where you were, so far the police are investigating. We think it has something to do with the Golden ram truck, Anaiya mentioned earlier.” I heard him sigh in relief. “Ok well I’m on my way to her place now, meet you there?” “Yep.” I heard a click as he hung up. I set my phone down in its original spot. I look back to see Savanna staring out the window and her bodyguard looking at his phone. I made one more loop around just to make sure no one was following us then we finally made it to Anaiya’s house.

    Savanna climbs out with the help of her guard. I grab my phone as I get out of my truck, close the door and head to the trunk. I opened the latch and grabbed my two duffel bags. I then escort Savanna and her guard to the front door. I knock on the door three times and ring the doorbell twice.

Anaiya

I had just finished explaining the situation to Gabby and her knight when I hear Laney’s knocking code. I pressed the security button on my phone as the door unlocked and opened. “Thanks.” Laney smiled and walked inside followed by another young princess and her bodyguard, Savanna’s family are more caught up with the time period so they had new technology and bodyguards. I then noticed the guard and the knight glaring at each other. I rolled my eyes and clapped my hands, these two look like they were ready to maul each other which made me kind of laugh because it shows just how tight a leash these girls keep them on. Although it was amusing we didn’t have time to waste trying to argue or even throw death glares at each other.

“I missed you Anaiya.” Gabby had hugged me along with Savanna, I had been friends with her family for so long that I practically grew up with them. Savanna and Gabby were best friends since they were very little, so I’ve heard, so wherever Gabby was there was Savanna and that’s how I got to know her family “How's your mother?” “Oh she's getting better!” I smiled and nodded. I looked at my watch and narrowed my eyes, it’s already this late and I haven’t been able to get done what needed to get done. I sighed. “Laney will you take these four upstairs to the guest room and get them changed?” Laney nods willingly, which was a surprise, and escorted them upstairs as I stepped outside. I groaned and looked at my watch to see that I had missed a call, so I opened up my video chat which now I wish I hadn’t. “Honey, how are you?” If I didn’t know who my father was, I’d think my mom was the devil but she was way worse than my father. “Hello mother.” I rolled my eyes as she sat back in her seat or at least what looked like my father’s seat. “What do you want? Why are you calling me?” She pouted then smirked. This wasn’t good, she’s up to something as if knowing her wasn’t already punishment enough. “I’ve got a proposition for you.” I shook my head. “I’m not…” She then cut me off as I noticed something appear on the screen that made me sick. “It’s about your husband.” Her smirk got a lot more sinister.