Chapter Two: Volunteer

Isabella just stood there not moving. She couldn’t move she was too stuck with fear to even move one little bit.

Kora began tapping on the microphone, ‘Maybe ladies and gentlemen, she needs a little encouragement to come on to the stage, right Isabella.’ Kora began clapping, slowly did the audience one by one and they all started clapping and cheering for Isabella to come on the stage. Her hands began to clench tightly into fists.

Peacemakers were walking right towards Isabella, how they knew who she was it was unknown, but all the other lucky girls stood to one side, allowing a path to Isabella. As the peacemakers came, she did not put up a battle with them; she was simply lifeless and limp and walked with them as they walked on to the stage.

Kora tapped on to the mic once again,’and this is Isab...’

Before Kora could even finish her sentence, Rachel had ran behind Isabella and the peace makers and pulled them out of the way, raising her hands with one loud belt, ‘I volunteer as tribute!’ The whole town turned silent, apart from a mothers cry in the background.

Kora simply titled her head to the side,’You are a little bit early for that part darling, but as you have volunteered for your district, you make take Isabella’s place. Let’s welcome her to the stage!’ Kora raised her hands.

The peacemakers pushed Isabella to one side, and began pulling Rachel.

Isabella quickly hissed at Rachel,’You can’t do this Rachel! No way am I letting you.’

Rachel walked passed her and turned over with a wink and a tumbs up,’Don’t worry I know what I am doing.’

Before Isabella could get another word in the peacemakers were pushing Rachel on to the stage next to Kora, while the other tributes were standing back.

Kora whispered into Rachel’s ear,’Very brave of you darling! What’s your name?’

Rachel looked down and swallowed hard,’Rachel, Rachel Dunstan’

‘Very pretty,’ she whispered,’ everyone, welcome the lovely Rachel Dunstan, the brave girl, who wanted to protect her friend. Cheers to her courage.’

People were cheering loudly. Rachel’s eyes scanned the crowd, to find Issy just staring at her with her wide green eyes. She mouthed,’I am not letting you do this.’

Rachel placed a brave smile on her face,’It will be all okay, I promise.’

Issy just shook her head in disbelief. She raised her hand and yelled,’ I volunteer as tribute for Rachel!’

The cheering died down all at once; yet again all eyes were turned onto Issy. Peace makers all looked at Kora to go by her signals. Did they go for the girl or hold back? It was a confusing time, for times such as this.

‘I am afraid that isn’t allowed my dearest,’Kora waggled her finger,’Rules are rules, otherwise people could be swapping places all the time, if someone volunteers, than that is it, it can only be changed once. Well anyway. Do any other people like to switch places with the tributes?’

None of the other boys said anything; their heads were just lowered to the ground.

‘Such a pity, no young boy is as brave as Rachel or the other tributes.’ Kora said,’and lastly but not least, any voneteers for Vicky?’

Isabella raced onto the stage,’I volunteer as tribute!’

Vicky’s mouth hung open, ‘You are willing to take my place.’

Kora looked a little shocked.

‘Rules are rules aren’t they Kora!’ Isabella said.

‘As it seems so yes,’ Kora said with a wicked smile painted across her face,’So ladies and gentlemen I present to you, Tyler Daniels, Elliot Ryder, Rachel Dunstin and Isabella Branning as the tributes of District Seven!’

The four tributes all stood next to each other. Tyler stood cheering and blowing kissed to the crowd. Elliot just stood there smiling; most of the girls were crying, typical as it may be. Then there was Issy and Rachel, they stood next to each other, with smiles on their faces linked in each other’s arms waving at the crowd. Little did anyone really known, when they had a moment alone, all hell was going to break loose.