Chapter 1 - The Search

Start from the beginning

 "Come on, lighten up!"

 "Lighten up?" I hissed. "We just found half a dead body and you want me to lighten up?"

 He held up his hands in defense. I really don't have the capacity to deal with this right now. I shoved my flashlight into his chest, pushing past him. "Get to work," I muttered.

 I strode away to talk again with the Sheriff about what the plans were to search for this body. "Stress isn't healthy!" Jesse called out to me. 

 "You're my least favorite person!" I called back to him, not even bothering to look back. I could just picture the smug expression on his face. That was about all I could take. He's what gives me the most stress.

 I approached Sheriff Stilinski and he handed me another flashlight. I muttered a thanks. He's been like a father figure to me ever since I moved here. He and his two kids are about the closest thing I have to a family anymore with being so far from my own. I guess I don't mind much, though. I have stability here, and that's more than I've ever had before.

 "Let's take the west side before it gets any colder out here," the Sheriff directed. I nodded, flicking on my flashlight.

 Second month on the job and I'm searching for a dead body. Maybe this town isn't quite as boring as it seems.

 Grace

 Simultaneously, my brother and I glance at each other, but what else are we to do? There's only one other phone and I sure as hell am going to be the one to listen in on my dad's phone call. Usually I leave this task to Stiles, my older brother, but my dad's worried tone makes me believe that this call may have to do with something remotely interesting.

 I've always been a crime junkie, as has Stiles, but that could possibly be because my father is the town sheriff. You'd think that being the sheriff he would do all kinds of bad ass things, right? Well, I'll tell you that this is an incorrect assumption. 

 The only major event to happen was ten years ago when I was around six and that was when the infamous Hale house burned to the ground. But then again, it was probably a kitchen fire. You know, when something burns on the stove and then poof.

 Glancing at Stiles tentatively, I burst into action as he lunges toward the phone. I quickly grab the back of his shirt in an attempt to pull him back, which did work because in all honesty I am much more athletic than him. He begins to try to squirm out of my grip and I shove my hand in his face as I try to push him back and away from the phone.

 He then grabs my side, pushing me away but I quickly trip him and he falls to the ground. I smirk before taking a step toward the phone, but he grabs my ankle causing me to topple to the ground with him. Landing on the hard wood with a grunt, I laugh as my brother squirms on the ground like a turtle on its shell.

 Putting a hand on the table, I boost myself up and quickly grab the phone. I bring the phone to my ear as Stiles stands up and he shoves his head close to the phone as he tries to listen in as well.

 "Did you say half of a dead body?" I hear my father's voice ask in disbelief.

 A dead body? A legitimate dead body. This is going to be the best freaking thing that's happened to this town. I look at my brother to see his face flood with excitement.

 "Yes, half a dead body. Two joggers ran upon it in the middle of the woods. We're calling all units in," a deputy explains from the other side of the line.

 "Alright," my dad sighs. "I want every unit out in the preserve and keep this quiet."

 This is all the information Stiles and I need to hear before hanging up the phone. I glance at him and I can already see a mischievous plan forming in his ADHD brain of his, although I have no room to talk seeing as though I've been diagnosed with it as well.