How Will I Laugh Tomorrow?

October 7, 1994 – Des Moines, Iowa

I decided to sneak out and go to a party tonight. I know, I know. I'm 17 so why would I be sneaking out? Well I still live with my parents.

I don't have a job, but I don't pay rent or anything, so I guess they have a point in trying to control me. But I got invited to this party at this guy Corey's house. He was working on this band he called Stone Sour and wanted everyone in town to come check them out.

I invited my friends along, too. I tend to only hang out with guys – chicks just bring too much drama. I'm not about all that.

Plus, I've always been more of a tom boy anyways. I like punk rock music and I skate everywhere I go.

I don't like dresses, makeup, or anything like that. And I love tattoos. The only girly thing I tend to be into is hair dye.

Currently my hair is streaked with a mixture of blues and purples. As for other people, I could give a shit what they think about my looks.

The guys I decided to invite along are in a band of their own; they're calling it Slipknot but they are just in the "garage" phase right now.

I didn't invite their singer, Anders – they're trying to find a replacement for him since he's just a douche to everyone. Not to mention, he can't sing worth a shit.

"Yo Shawn, you guys should come to a party tonight. It's at that dude Corey's place. He's doing some shit with Stone Sour and I figure you guys might enjoy it. Maybe you can even play a bit and let more people hear you?"

I proposed to him on the phone. Shawn, aka Clown, was the co-founder of the band. He had this image of putting on a horror show and putting out the darkest lyrics with the heaviest music out there.

He actually reminded me of Corey in a lot of ways. The main difference being, Corey is my best friend and Shawn is like a big brother to me.

- - - - -

It's 8 pm now and I'm getting ready for the party. I decided to wear some makeup tonight, just for the occasion. I put on thick black eyeliner with some smoky grey eyeshadow. I went heavy on the mascara and I topped it all off with a dark red lipstick.

I was wearing some black pants that were all torn up with random patches sewn into them. They're my favorite pair that I own. I also threw on an Alice In Chains tee.

I threw on my Dr. Martens and brushed through my hair with my fingers. I then jumped out my window and took off down the street.

It was about a five minute walk to Corey's place; just a couple of blocks down from my house. I could hear the people getting louder, the closer I got.

I let myself inside and saw all the guys from Slipknot already there talking with Corey. I greeted and hugged them all.

"Where's the booze, Taylor?" I asked him, walking around the kitchen.
"It's in the garage," he replied.