R.M.S. Carpathia-Rescue the Titanic

Building and early service:

R.M.S. Carpathia was build by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson at their Newcastle upon Tyne, England shipyard. She was launched on 6 August 1902, when she was christened by Miss Watson, daugther of the Vice-Chairman of the Cunard line. She underwent her sea trials between 22 and 25 April 1903. Carpathia displaced 8,600 long tons (8,700 t) and was 541 ft (165 m) long and 64 ft 6 in (19.66) breadth. Carpathia made her own maiden voyage on 5 May 1903 from Liverpool, England to Boston, USA, and ran services between New York City. Gibraltar, Genoa, Naples, Trieste and Fliume.

Titanic disaster:

Carpathia was sailing from New York City to Fliume, Austria-Hungary (Now Rijeka, Croatia) on the night of Sunday, 14 April 1912. Among it's passenger we're the American painters Collin Campbell Cooper and his wife Emma, author Philip Mauro, journalist Lewis Palmer Skidmore and Carlos Fayette Hurd, with their wives, Emily Vinton Skidmore and Katherine Curdell Hurd, photographer Dr. Francis H. Blackmarr, and Charles H. Marshall, whose three nieces we're we're travelling aboard Titanic. Also on aboard we're Hope Brown Caphin, honeymooning youngest daughter of former governor of Rhode Island, Russell Brown, Pittsburgh architect Charles M. Hutchison and wife, Sue Eva Rule, soster of judge Virgil Rule of the street Louis court of appeals, as well as Louis Mansfield Ogden, Esq., with his wife Augusta David Ogden, a grandfather of Alexander H. Rice.

Carpathia's wireless operator, Harold Cottam, had missed previous message from the Titanic, as he was on the bridge at the time. He then received messages from Cape Race, Newfoundland, stating they have private traffic for Titanic. He thought he would be helpful at 12:00 am on 15 April sent a message from Titanic stating that Cape Race had traffic for them. In reply he received Titanic's distress signal. Cottam awakened Captain Arthur Henry Rostron, who immediately checked the ship's position which he calculated as 41 10' N, 49 12'W. Rostron ordered a course at maximum speed (17 kn 20 mph; 31 km/h) to Titanic's last known position, approximately 58 mi (93 km) away.

          Rostron ordered the ship's heating and hot water cut off in order to make as much steam as possible available for the engines, succeeding in going 3

Rostron ordered the ship's heating and hot water cut off in order to make as much steam as possible available for the engines, succeeding in going 3.5 knots faster than the ship's rated top speed (A speed that would never reach again on it's career). At full speed it took the Carpathia four hours to reach Titanic, while Titanic only stayed afloat for two hours and sank before Carpathia arrived, claming the lives of 1,517 of the Titanic passenger and crew. At 4:00 am., Carpathia arrived at the scene, after working her way through dangerous ice fields, and took 705 survivors of the disaster of Titanic's lifeboat. By 9:00, the last survivor had been picked up, and Rostron gave the order to depart at New York. Carpathia arrived on port on April 18.

For their rescue work, the crew of Carpathia we're awarded medals by the survivors. Crew members we're awarded bronze medals, officers silver, and Captain Rostron a silver cup and a gold medal, presented by Margaret Brown, Rostron was knighted by King Gorge V, was later a guest of President Taft at the Whit House, we're he was presented with a Congressional Gold Medal, the highest honour the United States Progress could confer upon him.

 Crew members we're awarded bronze medals, officers silver, and Captain Rostron a silver cup and a gold medal, presented by Margaret Brown, Rostron was knighted by King Gorge V, was later a guest of President Taft at the Whit House, we're he was p...

United Kingdom

Name: R.M.S. Carpathia
Owner: Cunard Line
Route: Transatlantic: Liverpool-Queenstown-Boston
Transferred Liverpool-Queenstown-New York summers
Trieste-Fiume-New York winters
Builder: Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson
Laid down: 10 September 1901
Launched: 6 August 1902
Maiden voyage: 5 May 1903
In Service: 1903-1918
Fate: Torpedoed Southeast of Ireland and West of Isles of Scilly by German submarine U-55, 17 July 1918

General characteristics:

Class and type: Cunard Line transatlantic passenger, steam ship
Type: Ocean Liner
Tonnage: 13, 555 gt
Displacement: 8, 600 long tons (8,700 t)
Length: 558 ft (170 m)
Beam: 64 ft 6 in (19.66 m)
Draught: 34 ft 7 in (10.54 m)
Propulsion: 2 x Wallsend Slipway Co. 8-cylinder quadruple expansion steam engines Twin propellers
Speed: 17.5 kn (20.1 mph; 32.4 km/h) (Maximum at full steam) 14 kn (16 mph; 26 km/h) (Service)
Capacity: 1, 704 passengers; after 1905, 2, 550:
1st class:100
2nd class:200
3rd class:2,250

Well guys, that's all for now at the story of R.M.S Carpathia rescuing the survivors of the Titanic and it's also history of being build and launch. And also the chart of the information about the R.M.S. Carpathia. If you've like the story, leave a comment below and vote if it is good. If you want more stories, go to mjprepena@yahoo.com and go to my stories. Thank you guys for reading and bye there...

 Thank you guys for reading and bye there

=All right reserved=