Part 11

"Alright, everyone, quite down!" Tanner yelled.

All conversation on the ship stopped and everyone looked to the young Yeoman.

"When the Griffon is forty legs from us, I want everyone to angle their shields so that it reflects the sun onto a single point of her main sail, preferably low. Do you all understand?"

"What good will that do?" Dunkirk asked.

David smiled mischievously. "You'll see. Here everyone, follow my lead!" He set the shield on the rail so the front of it was facing him. He tilted it back and angled it straight ahead. A small white dot appeared on the Griffon's main sail. "Right about there, lads!" he yelled.

The main sail of the Griffon looked to come alive as forty white dots danced chaotically around its dull surface. Slowly, they coalesced into a single blindingly white spot.

"Keep them still as best you can, lads!" Tanner yelled.

As the Griffon got closer, the dot began to shrink. Black smoke started to rise as the ship reached the forty leg mark. The crew practically held their breath as the seconds ticked by.

"Any second now..." David said to Corwyn, who was standing to his left.

Suddenly, the sail burst into flames! The fires quickly engulfed the entire sail and spread to the rigging. Ropes snapped as the crew of the Griffon ran around frantically in chaos. Another sail caught fire, then another. Finally the main mast started to burn.

The crew of the Waverunner cheered as they cast their shields aside. He had done it! The Griffon was dead in the water, and most likely soon headed to a watery grave.

David sighed. "Thank you Archimedes."

"Who's that?" Fyke asked.

"A Macedonian mathematician."

"Well, if I ever meet him, I'm going to buy him a pint of ale!" Corwyn said.

David couldn't help but chuckle. "My friend, he's been dead for centuries."

"Captain, they're lowering the lifeboats! Looks like they are still going to try to board us!" Quenton yelled.

David smiled. "This one is going to be a lot easier." He cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled to the crew. "Anyone who has a good throwing arm and good aim, come here! Dunkirk, have some crew bring up one of the bolts of cloth and six cases of the whiskey!

ttp://�h���̕