I opened my mouth to ask more about the book, but at that moment a new guard entered the door, a woman. She was short and lean, with long muscles tracing her bare arms. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail, the tips of it just reaching her waistline. I rose as she moved into the room, her blue eyes on Mouse.

"Are you ready to return to classes now?" Her voice was high and maternal. Mouse shrank away from the woman.

Immediately, I moved in response to Mouse's reaction. As I inserted myself between the newcomer and the child, the woman's hand reflexively moved to her gun. My muscles tensed ready for attack, but before the situation could escalate, the young man placed his hand over hers in a calming gesture.

"Veyron oversees most of the youth here. Mouse was attending classes before she was brought to you. We think it is important to educate our children. Veyron is one of the best guards we have. Mouse couldn't be in safer hands." His hazel eyes were steady, trying to reassure me.

I turned to Mouse, gauging her reaction. She looked frightened.

"Did they take you to classes to learn, to read?" I knelt to her level.

She nodded.

"I think you should go with them. It is very important that you have an education. Knowledge can only better a person." I kept my voice soft. Without my father's teachings I would have never made it as long as I did.

Mouse leapt to her feet and clung to my neck.

"Are you scared they won't bring you back here?"

Her tiny head nodded furiously.

A large hand passed over my arms, careful not to touch me, and fell lightly on her back.

"Mouse, I promise we will bring you back here. Have I ever lied to you before?" His deep voice was close to my ear.

Mouse raised her red-brimmed eyes to his and shook her head no, but her hands tightened on my shoulder.

"I will take good care of her until you get back." He soothed the child, brushing the tears from her cheeks.

She looked at me, fear still in her eyes. I understood her fear of losing me. The thought of the air vent still burned in my mind.

"I promise I will still be here when you get back. I won't leave you." Those were the words she needed to hear. Wiping the last of the tears from her face she released me. I watched as she took Veyron's hand. The guard's face was astonished as she looked at me, like she had just seen a Ravager show kindness. I wanted to wipe the look off her face for her. I may be calloused, but I was still human. I could be humane, if I tried.

When the little brown head turned to me just before they left, I smiled at her once more in encouragement. After she disappeared my smile wavered. The vent... Had I just lied to the only person who had ever shown me adoration in this horrific city?

Before I could overthink it, the young man moved to the door gesturing for me to follow. "Come on, we have work to do."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Since when is sitting in the same room, answering the same damn questions over and over again work?"

A smile pulled at the corner of his lips. "No questions today. If you are going to stay here for a while, then you need to start pulling your weight. Besides I figured doing something physical outside of that tiny grey room might do you good."
I moved quickly after him now, eager to do anything other than sit in that room again. And eager to move away from the vent that was calling freedom to me. I had promised I would be here when Mouse returned. My escape could wait another day.