29 / Those Hidden Colors

Start from the beginning

"Maisie, don't go. We can fix this. I can work things out."

My stomach knotted up, taking in Bryce's voice. It has been three weeks — three long weeks — and he was finally back home. Instead of a sweet reunion I dreamed about, the untold truth just had to be revealed.

How wonderful.

Gazing up at him, I gulped down hard before muttering out, "Bryce, can't you see that everyone is getting hurt?"

His jaw clenched momentarily before answering, "Nothing will happen anymore. Let me talk to my mom about this. I'll tell her to fix what she did."

Shaking my head, I pressed, "She's never going to stop Bryce! I don't know what happened between my mom and her, but I can't keep seeing my family suffer because of it."

"I don't know either! Do you think that's going to stop me from liking you?" Bryce countered back.

Stunned by his words, I felt my eyes start to tremble again. This time, I was too weak to resist the tears from falling. 

Sighing, I tried to explain, "I've been trying to look past your mom so many times, Bryce, but I'm so tired of trying. The last thing I ever want is for my family to get hurt."

"If you give me a chance, let me fix it. I know how much that market means to you and your family. But, what about me? Do I mean anything to you, Daisie?"

Bryce's blue eyes were growing with a trace of frustration.

Of course Bryce did.

Nodding my head, an unwanted tear dropped from my shaking eyes.

"You do, Bryce. I don't want you to trouble yourself all the time though."

Bryce's eyes widened, and he ranted out, "You think I care about that? As long as we're together, that's all I need. You never let me or anyone help you which is driving me crazy!" 

"Because I don't need any help! You don't have to worry about me from now on, Bryce. I'm sorry," I cried out through a quivering lip, pulling away from his grasp.

Truth was, not only did I want to see my family hurt, but I didn't want to see Bryce getting hurt having to deal with his mother and me if we stayed like this.

Before Bryce could stop me, I was already starting my car up. The sound of the engine roared as Bryce took a few steps back as his face fell in distraught. It was a haunting sight to take in which caused my heart to burn with guilt. 

Mom flashed a disappointed expression upon me, but I tried ignoring it as I drove away from Bryce Valentino and Legends Hotel.

                                                     .        .        .

"Honey, you didn't have to do that." 

Mom's worried tone rang on the right side of my ear as I turned the car engine off. We just arrived at the garage lane of our house.

Instead of replying back, I asked in a lifeless tone, "Mom, how do you know Monica and Curtis Valentino?"

Mom was now holding onto my hand tightly. When I glanced at her direction, Mom's hazel eyes were expressing apology.

"I told you to come back so I could tell you. I didn't want you to find out that way."

It was a little too late for that, wasn't it? 

Noticing my blank expression, Mom tried to ease up the atmosphere by giving me a soft smile. It didn't work at all.

As I waited for an explanation, her voice was stern as she recalled back to that memory, "Monica and I were friends during high school. Best friends to be exact. I always admired a girl like Monica. She was always determined and self driven. We were very close during our sophomore until senior year. During our junior year, I met Curtis. It was only when senior year began, our feelings for one another grew, and we eventually started dating. Monica didn't like it though. She never supported our relationship, and I didn't want to think it was because she was jealous. During that winter break I asked her... for the complete truth."