29 / Those Hidden Colors

Start from the beginning

When Bryce's father couldn't answer, Bryce shifted his eyes earnestly, searching for an answer in mine. I gradually glanced away, not knowing a right way of explaining it.

This was the last thing Bryce needed.

A horrible welcome back committee.

Mom's eyes soon clouded up as she was exchanging looks with Curtis. It was the kind of expression that was hard to comprehend. Yet, it looked like their past memories flashed right before them as they reunited with one another. Everything was just so awkward at the moment. It felt like all of us were biting on our tongues to prevent an answer from escaping.

Grabbing Mom's hand, I slightly murmured, not looking at the Valentino's, "We're leaving."

"Good." 

Monica Valentino's cold voice slithered through my ears.

"Monica, what did you do?" I heard Curtis question his wife before we completely exited out her office.

The atmosphere completely transitioned the moment we stepped out. When Mom and I made it out to the parking lot, I quickly composed myself when I found Mason in the driver's seat of Dad's car, windows down. He was waiting for Mom — or the both of us — and his dark brown eyes lit up once he spotted us.

When we walked over there, I asked through a whisper, "Does Mason know?" 

In return, Mom shook her head, and I wanted to keep it that way.

"Your faces aren't too happy. Should I be worried?" 

Mason's facial expression dropped as he poked his head further out the car window. Shaking in disagreement, I forced a smile.

"We just need a hold on a little bit longer."

Mason's nose wrinkled, observing my face closely.

"Maisie, I'm not stupid. What happened?"

"You don't have to worry, Mason."

"Well, seems to me that something's very wrong."

"Don't worry about it, Mason."

"Don't lie to me. I hate when you do that!" 

Mason gave me a slight pout, his eyes yearning for the truth.

"You two, stop that please," Mom interrupted lightly. 

Mason glared at me momentarily and I sighed in return, looking the opposite direction. 

Mom continued, "Honey, I'm going home with Maisie. We'll talk about it together, okay?"

In reply, Mason slightly grunted before nodding his head in agreement. Once he turned on the car engine, Mason pulled away from the parking lot and went off first. When it was the two of us again, Mom fixed her attention towards me. She already caught the look in my eyes. Mom knew they were also begging for the truth. 

As she pulled me into a hug, Mom apologized continuously through our embrace.

Until I heard someone say, "Maisie..."

It was my delivery boy.

Breaking off our embrace, Mom soon gave an apologetic look at Bryce and me before heading inside the passenger's seat of my car to give us our privacy. Taking a deep breath, I couldn't find any words to say to him. It felt like the world had stopped. 

Everything was already too overwhelming and having Bryce here felt so unreal. Right now, it seemed like Bryce was only a figment of my imagination. Bryce reached out to hold my hand, making me shiver a bit despite the warmth he was giving off.