Jayfeather: Hate - Remade

(Spoilers for Power of Three and Omen of the Stars)

Jayfeather is easily the most overrated cat in the entire series and has more shippings than Scourge's OC mates and is paired up with every cat in the series. I'm not even joking. What's worse is that if you say you don't like him or love him, his fangirls will get into your face. I'm not saying all people who like Jayfeather are always like this, but I do know that some are and I'm not trying to cause offence but if I did, then sorry. Like Spottedleaf, it's considered a major sin to Warriors to not like Jayfeather and "you aren't a true fan to the series". I'm not saying all Jayfeather lovers/likers/worshippers are like this, but some are and I hate it. Jayfeather is overrated just for being blind and grumpy. I don't see Yellowfang getting showered with as much love and getting treated like she's the best thing that happened to Warriors.

We first see him as a kit who has his whole Clan caring about him and making sure he was safe. Jayfeather didn't appreciate that and showed no signs of grattitude, only spitting in their faces. Cats who have disablilities often get treated horribly and aren't looked out for. E.g. Crookedstar and cats who have a disability even get eaten by their mother or even abandoned. Jayfeather was just lucky, yet was ungrateful. Why? Because nothing went his way.

He says hurtful things to Brightheart and makes her feel bad about herself when really she was the best mentor for him. What did he do? He just went "waaaah I don't want Brightheart as a mentor she sucks waaaaah can't I have someone better". He should have accepted it because she was the only cat he could ever have as a mentor. All he ever did was throw a tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted. Brightheart was, apparently, "a useless mentor" and Jaypaw constantly disrespected her and refused to do anything she said because he couldn't get his own way.

"Jaypaw did not listen to the rest. Instead he let his attention slip until her voice blended in with the sound of the wind swishing through the branches of the hollow." - The Sight, page 93.

Even though he was told to stay in the camp because Brightheart wasn't around, he thought it would be an amazing idea to go to WindClan. What did this do? Almost make him drown, and he would have if the WindClan patrol hadn't found him. He was an apprentice; he was old enough to listen but he didn't, and it was his own fault he could have gotten himself killed.

What Jayfeather never thought was that he was lucky to have been cared for. His littermates were always there for him and didn't constantly bully him. He was lucky to have a good bond with his littermates. His only excuse to being a jerk is because he's blind and gets treated like a kit, and because he never gets his own way. He was a kit when cats were caring for him, not an apprentice or warrior. They just want to make sure Jayfeather doesn't get himself badly injured or even killed. And all Jayfeather does about it is yell at them and practically tell them to get lost. If they showed the slightest concern--which isn't them mocking him because no one ever did that so he has no reason to be a brat--he yelled at them and told them to basically go away.

The whole of ThunderClan could have shunned him and let him get hurt but they didn't. And all Jayfeather's response was "Stop treating me like a kit even though I am one!".

The worst part is that Jayfeather whines about being blind and always wants things his way. If they don't, he'll argue until it does. Not to mention, he puts everyone down because they care about him, especially Brightheart.

Then Jaypaw must be a medicine apprentice and he makes a big deal out of it. He even goes far enough to say he never meant to hurt Brightheart, when he really did all because "she wasn't good enough for him to care about".

Blind people don't complain about the fact that they are blind since they are, unlike Jayfeather was, grateful to be alive. Brightheart didn't complain but only felt more insecure before Cloudtail came, One-eye never showed any signs of anger or complaints and she had always been blind in one eye at first, and Longtail only ever thought he was a burden to the Clan because of it. People who are blind are grateful to get help and don't yell in people's faces to get lost or anything like that. There is a difference between treating someone like a baby and caring for them.

"But Jayfeather didn't want to be blind. He wanted to be normal and be a warrior."

He's blind, yes, but his other senses made up for it. He could hear perfectly, smell perfectly, and feel perfectly to the point where he could navigate himself around the camp. His power makes up for him being blind. Warriors need all senses to work. Brightheart was only a warrior because she wasn't completely blind and could still see, that's why she wasn't made an elder, same with One-eye before she retried. Jayfeather should have dealt with it rather than expecting everything to be perfect for him.

"He should have been warrior! He can still move about places!"

No, Jayfeather should never be a warrior. Like I stated before, all senses need to at least work. Would it be fair to make Jayfeather a warrior and Longtail an elder because he was blind as well? No, it wouldn't, and that would show complete favourtism. Jayfeather being a warrior is just like Briarlight being a proper one and he honestly wouldn't be of any use to the Clan as one. He was weak against Breezepelt and needed help so bad that even Honeyfern had to literally come from StarClan because of his "I can still be a warrior and fight, get away from me and don't tell me what to do!".

Jayfeather is completely arrogant with his "I can do anything better than you!" attitude. He also looks down on everyone and thinks that he is clever and they aren't. He even expects cats to pity him but when he gets it, he gets in their faces and tells them to get lost.

He reacted so horribly to Brightheart and got in her face just for announcing that she was pregnant. His reason? "You idiot, don't you see there's a battle coming up?!" Brightheart did not know this. How was she supposed to know many cats' lives were being threatened when Jayfeather himself never told a thing to anyone, let alone the Three? Did he really expect her to read his mind? Yes, he did.

"What were you thinking?" he [Jayfeather] snapped. "Leaf-bare's on the way and we might starve without extra mouths to feed! What a dumb time to have kits! Is everyone here a mouse-brain?" - The Last Hope

"It's not Jayfeather's fault Crowfeather is his father. He got his personality from him!"

"Then it was his blindness!"

Jayfeather didn't tell the Three about anything until the last minute because he wanted the prophecy for himself. He didn't warn his Clan in advance until it was too late only because he wanted to hang around with Half Moon rather than save more lives. Really, he was selfish enough to keep anything a secret for so many moons and when the battle was about to start, he spilled everything out when it was pointless. The only major thing he did was try to unite StarClan.

Everyone knows the tragic story of Half Moon and Jayfeather being separated. It was hypocritical on Jayfeather's half especially since he whined about Leafpool running off with Crowfeather and how they ruined his life. People claim Jayfeather "would never break the warrior code in the same way Leafpool did". What is JayXHalf? Forbidden. Why? Jayfeather will always be a medicine cat and Half Moon is basically not from a Clan. That technically makes Jayfeather doing what Leafpool did; wanting to be with a cat he knows well enough he can't have. Yes, they may be from different times, but that changes nothing. It's still going to be forbidden because medicine cats cannot have mates. If Jayfeather hated Leafpool for that, he may as well go pour hate on himself. And if you hate Leafpool or any other cat for the solo reason of being in a forbidden romance, then there is no exception on Jayfeather. He's doing the same except the only difference is they're from different times. It's still forbidden. During the Great Battle, all Jayfeather does is cower into the medicine cat den and only runs out to Half Moon when he sees her for the first time in real life.

Jayfeather never dealt with a single thing without having to whine and expect everyone to pity him, and when he gets what he wants, he tells them to go away. I also don't see how he's special. In my opinion, he is a complete jerk, and he is treated like the best thing ever because of that. I don't see why people hate on other jerkish characters but let Jayfeather get away with everything he does.