Chapeter Eleven

I was laying in bed staring up at the ceiling wondering what my life would be like if the incident never happened. I'd probably be at a university in Tennesssee, I would have graduated high school with my friends, my dad would have intimediated my first boyfriend. My mom would have been there for my first break up. My baby brother would have gotten to grow up, he would have started middle school, maybe he would have learned a sport or an instrument. I would have met someone at school and gotten married, my dad there to walk me down the aisle. Everything would be wonderful and different, my life would have been normal. I laid there in the silence, I couldn't help but think if the incident didn't happen I would have never gotten to travel, I would have never met Mel, and I would have never met Jc. My mind and heart were flooded with thoughts of Jc, he was so amazing, maybe he was the light at the end of this horrible storm that I called life. However as I sat in silence again I knew that I wouldn't be in LA forever. Something would happen and I would have to be relocated in order to keep me safe from the crazy man the did so much harm to my family. I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep, listening to the hum of the air conditioner calmed me. I was startled by crashing noise coming from downstairs, I laid frozen unable to think. I heard heavy foot steps coming up the stairs, stopping with a loud thud at the top. I sat up silently, wanting to scream out for Mel to come save me, though I knew he wouldn't hear me. I stood creeping over to the closet, climbing inside to hide behind the clothes, shutting the door quietly behind me. I sat in silence hearing nothing but the hum of the A/C, maybe I had imagined it all. I screamed out in horror as the closet door flew open, hands reaching out and grabbing me as I fought back.

My eyes popped open, I sat up startled, sweating as if I were in the desert. It was just a dream, I thought calmly as I stood up heading downstairs for a drink of water. My heart was still pounding out of chest with fear. Calm down Skylar, I thought, pull yourself together. I reached into the fridge pulling out a bottle of cold water, first holding it to my forehead before taking a sip. I sat on the sofa letting myself calm down, even after the months of therapy  I still had nightmares now and then that scared me half to death. I laid back holding the water bottle's cool plastic against my hot skin. I closed my eyes and let myself drift back to sleep.

I was awoken a few hours later by Mel rushing through the door, I jumped up startled by his presence. The sunlight pouring through hurt my eyes, however I still stared up at Melman.

"Sorry to barge in, I couldn't spot you and I was worried." he said taking a seat in the chair across from me.

"Yeah I just had a nightmare so I slept down here," I said sitting up.

"Yeah I know, I was watching. It's my job to know. I just wanted to share with you some information with you. We finally got some info on the stranger and we think that this next lead will bring us directly to him, hopefully."

"So you found him?" I said, a lump formed in my throat just thinking about the stranger, all my life all I had wanted was for him to be arrested, for justice to be served.

"Not exactly. But we're pretty sure that this lead will result in an arrest." Mel offered a slight smile.

"Alright," I said fighting back the tears. "That's lovely news. Keep me updated."

"Will do," Mel said rising and heading out the door. He knew that I didn't enjoy talking about it, I could barely handle it. However we still kept things on a need to know basis, and all I considered need to know was an arrest of the man you destroyed my family.