Chapter Five

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

(Wanda POV)

When we've landed at the tower and all gone inside, standing in the living room, Stark comes in. He sits on the couch opposite the kitchen where Vis tried (and failed) to cook. Stark puts his feet up on the armrest and leans back casually.

That's when I notice everyone glancing not-so-discreetly from me to Vis and back again. He looks almost uncomfortable, which is unusual.

"We're just in our old rooms then?" Cap says, breaking the silence. "Let's go, clear out." He motions to the door as everyone starts to pick up their few things and leave. I turn to go as well, but Vis gently catches my wrist and waits for Cap to close the door behind him. 

"Vis, what's going on? Why did Stark let us come here? Why is everyone acting so strangely?" The questions flood from my mouth almost too quickly to be understood, especially in my Sokovian accent. But he understands.

He smiles. "Ah, well...." He looks down at the carpet, then back up. "Forgive me, I am unsure how to phrase it exactly...."

I'm only getting more confused.

"Well, when I returned to the tower, Mr Stark was waiting for me," he begins. "He knew where I had been. He asked me what I had done at T'challa's, to see is I had been plotting against him, or so I thought. But when he heard that I had spent the day with you" - he motions to me with one hand - "then he laughed and seemed to approve."

I shake my head a little and fight a smile. I'm beginning to understand what he's trying to say.

"Ah, he said that he thought that we were 'cute'? And then he told me that I ought to ask you out. I was a bit confused, but I decided that it was not a bad idea - er, I mean it was a very good one. So, would you like to join me for dinner tonight?"

There is a pause. Then I can't help it. I start to laugh. Here we are, a couple of strange scarlet people, Avengers with nothing to avenge, heroes hated by the world, standing in borrowed sweaters in the highest tower in New York City, and he is asking me to dinner.

I love this man.

"Of course!" I say. "There's no one I'd rather spend time with." And it's true. All I want to do is spend time with my best friend. 

His face lights up. "I promise that it will be very good."

I laugh again. "I'm sure it will be." 

"Right, yes." He nods, still with his adorable smile, and awkwardly turns to leave.

The door shuts behind him and I am finally alone. But now I don't want to be.

Is it normal to be so excited for the evening to come?

*

When I get to my room, Natasha is sitting on my bed, waiting. Before I can say a word, she launches her questions - "So what happened? How did he ask you out? Did you say yes? Was it cute?"

Her smirk twitches up as she spins one of her widow batons through her fingers.

I smile and close the door. "Um...." I sit on the bed next to her and let out a breath. "Well he told me that Stark thought we were cute together. Which was a strange beginning. But then he asked me to dinner tonight. And it was adorable, so yeah, I accepted."

She grins. "Finally!"

"What do you mean, finally?"

"I've been watching you guys make eyes at each other for weeks. Finally he asks you out. Sam owes me twenty bucks."