Chapter 11--Hands Are Like A Puzzle

Start from the beginning

I walked through the airport quickly, trying to make my way through the luggage area. A lot of people were waiting for their suitcases, it felt like I had just Fast-Passed everyone. Cutting them through an invisible line.

My mind was set on getting home. The whole time I was gone I spent catching up on my homework and drawing the skyscraper for Aaron. I was really excited to show him what I came up with. Working by a fire, cuddled up in a blanket, while drinking hot cocoa—really seemed to boost my imagination.

I walked through the double doors that led to the final stretch of the airport. People were waiting for this loved ones, holding up signs and jumping anxiously. Every so often I would see someone run up to their family member and hug them tightly.

I searched the crowed, walking down the long aisle of people waiting to see Pierce. At one point, I started frowning. Was he not here? Did he forget? I looked down at my phone, just to see if he had texted me. There were no new messages from Pierce but I had one from Aaron.

I opened it and it read, To your left.

I looked up, turning towards my left only to come in contact with Aaron's piercing eyes. Not seeing his eyes for a week made me forget how distraught they were. He was wearing his leather jacket over a white shirt and faded black jeans. He was situated between two other men who were looking over heads and jumping to see if their loved ones arrived. One of them was holding a sign with a name on it. Aaron was also holding a sign. On a regular sheet of paper and in bold the letters spelled out, Birdie.

I couldn't stop the smile that formed on my face and I started to slowly walk towards him. The closer I got the more my smile seemed to widen. Aaron's eyes stayed locked on mine and I saw the ends of his lips start to curl into a smile. My heart started beating loudly and I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach.

I stopped right in front of him, the sheet of paper between us. "Hi Aaron," I said looking up at him.

His face shifted from the small grin into a full smile. I didn't think I could miss a voice so much until I heard his again, "Hi Birdie."

I faked a frown and raised an eyebrow, "Wasn't your brother supposed to pick me up?"

Aaron shrugged, putting the sheet down and turning halfway so we would start walking towards the exit. "I called dibs."

I followed Aaron, his eyes flicking towards me every so often. I was feeling jittery, wondering why he was actually here. So I tried making small talk and asked, "How was your Thanksgiving then?"

"Uneventful." He answered curtly.

I nodded, "Mine too."

"You visited your family though," He said raising an eyebrow. "Was that not fun?"

I shrugged, "I mean it was but I really missed being here."

Aaron smirked, his eyes trailing on me. "I know."

I felt my neck turn red and I was glad we finally stepped foot outside. It wasn't even cold, just breezy with the instant increase of humidity. Compared to Michigan, this was flat out scalding. The smell of saltwater instantly hit me as soon as the small breeze passed by.

I started heading towards the parking lot when Aaron called out, "Birdie."

I turned to look at him, his motorcycle leaning on the curb. He grabbed his black helmet that he somehow kept with the bike. "No," I said shaking my head as he climbed on.

He was holding the helmet out to me as I got closer. "No?" He asked an eyebrow raised. His face went back to his usual monotone state.

"There's no way I'm getting on that," I kept shaking my head and crossed my arms over my chest.