Ch. 10: The Turning Point

Start from the beginning

"Ah, what do we care?" Damon asked. "We're leaving anyway, right?"

"No, I can't leave now, and you know that. How are we supposed to find this person?"

"Let the adults handle this, Stefan," Damon told him.

He started to walk away, and I stepped in his way, "Yeah, no. Let me handle it. You boys have had all the excitement recently. It's my turn."

*

I didn't technically hate myself for asking Caroline to help me because I had heard about her and Matt.

She had the vampire compass, and she told me over the phone, "So what do I do now?"

"Just wait," I told her. "I'll be there in a minute."

"You know, you're lucky it's you who's asking. I wouldn't do it if Damon asked."

I whoosed up behind her as I said, "You wouldn't have had a choice if he did."

She turned and handed me the compass. "I don't mind helping you, but why did you need me to do this?"

"'Cause I interfere with the signal," I answered.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"You and Matt, are you still . . .?"

"No," I answered, looking up. "Why?"

"'Cause I might be starting to like him, and I just wanna know if it's . . .okay with you."

I looked into her eyes, compelling her. "It's fine. Now, before you get hurt, get in your car and go home. Forget that I asked you to do this 'cause Damon would kill you if he knew you knew the truth, and then he would kill me. All you remember was that we hung out for half the day."

"Okay," Caroline agreed easily. "Bye, now."

"Bye," I said as she turned for her car.

And I turned for the abandoned warehouse building behind me, walking up the stairs and grabbing the locked door handle and pushed down till it broke. Then I pulled it open and pulled it shut behind me as I walked in.

All I saw was fence-like things and nothing else, but I sensed someone, turning to the left as the news bastard I had killed shot me again, repeatedly, and I yelled out and groaned as I fell to the floor on my knees, and Logan Fell came closer.

*

I'd killed this bitch!

"I have tons of these wooden bullets, so . . . nothing funky," Logan told me as he circled around me.

"You don't want to do this, trust me," I said as he shot into my shoulder. "Ow!"

"That's what you get."

"For what?" I demanded.

He leaned closer. "You made me like this."

"I killed you," I said. "I didn't turn you."

I started to pull out the wooden bullets as Logan said, "See, I know what you and your brothers are. I've been watching the three of you. I knew you'd show up here. And I'm glad you did, because I have some questions."

"Me first," I said. "Who turned you?"

"How should I know? Last thing I remember, I shoot you, I'm about to stake one of your brothers, and you grab me. That's it. Until I wake up in the ground behind a used car dealership on Highway 4. Somebody buried me."