XXX - Alternative Ending

Start from the beginning

But the Doctor couldn’t wait, the first of the three green lights on the sonic had faded already…

Pushing a busy nurse out of his way while mumbling something that sounded like an apology, he went straight through the doors and sprinted across the parking lot. With a snap of his fingers, the door opened and he jumped inside.

The second light faded…

Turning around his controls, he found the small hole he was looking for and slipped his sonic screwdriver inside it, pulling the screen in front of him.

“What are you doing, Doctor?” Rory said, trying to catch his breath as he walked up to the Doctor.

But the his son-in-law stayed still, not even daring to breath as he starred at the screen.

“Zera’s gone, Doctor. Even you can’t bring her back from dead,” Rory protested, looking at the charging bar that slowly progressed that the Doctor had his eyes glued on.

But still no response.

Finally, the bar reached the end and a word appeared on the screen. Complete. A large grin appeared on the wise man’s face.

“What have you done? What’s complete?” Rory questioned, completely lost.

“Giving her the life she always wanted…” the Doctor finally replied.

He felt a great weight had been lifted from him shoulders, but still he would never see her again… The thought brought another tear to roll down his cheek.

I didn't open my eyes as soon as I woke up. I laid in the warm bed underneath the blanket. I curled up into a ball in hopes of falling back to sleep. I could see through my eyelids that it was already sunny out.

Suddenly, I felt a hand caressing my cheek softly. I smiled thinking of the Doctor, but realized that hand was too small, too soft, and too feminine to be the Doctor's. I opened my eyes to find an identical pair looking down at me lovingly. She smiled widely, her black hair surrounding her perfect face. I had forgotten how beautiful she was.

"Mum!" I shouted and sat up to hold her in my arms.

I felt tears form in my eyes, purely from happiness. I then noticed my father standing in the back ground. I jumped out of bed and pulled him into the hug.

“Oh, bumblebee, I've miss you," he said, pulling me close.

I missed hearing him call me that so much. I savoured every single moment, until finally, I let go. The smiles on their faces were radiant as they told me how much I had grown.

"Breakfast is ready!" a familiar voice called from down stairs and only then did I realize I was in my own home.

I took my mother's and father's hand and pulled them down to the kitchen where Craig and Sophie were placing plates of pancakes on the table. Alfie appeared, casually chatting with Jess and we all took a seat to eat. The room was full of laughter and I was unbelievably happy.

But I knew it wasn't reality. Just a moment ago, I was lying in a hospital bed dying. Also my mum and dad where dead, they couldn't be alive just as much as me. But did it matter? They were with me right now.

I looked out the window and noticed that the view was very different. Instead of the nice calm neighborhood I usually saw a beach with white sand and some palm trees swaying in the warm breeze. The sun was shining brighter than I had ever seen it.

I noticed someone sitting in the sand and realized a moment later that it was the Doctor looking out at the water.

Without taking the time to excuse myself, I left the table and ran out of the house to find my love. Hearing my footsteps approaching, he stood up and caught me as I launched myself into his arms. For what seemed like an eternity, he just held me as I kept my arms wrapped tight around him. We finally pulled away as he beamed down at me and I did the same. He took my hands in his.

"Is this heaven?" I asked, though never being a believer in the after-life.

"No," he answered.

"Then I'm still alive?" I said sceptically. I knew that wasn't it.

"No."

The smile on his face faded with sadness for a moment, but I caressed his cheek softly and the corner of is lips curled up.

"Where are we?" I asked looking out at the water.

“In the TARDIS. Your consciousness digitally programmed in the TARDIS. This is your world, Zera," he explained calmly.

I took a moment to process the information. It sounded so absurd, but coming from him, it was almost believable.

"So... none of this is real," I confirmed what I thought earlier. "Not even you."

"No, but all the others are made out of your memories, of what you know of the person. As for myself, I have all of the Doctor's memories, all 907 years. I wanted for me to be just the way I was, because that's the way you loved me," he smiled.

"I still love you," I replied, smiling back.

I didn't matter to me how I was living and how that people I loved were around me. I was happy. As happy as I could possibly be. There was so much love and joy in this new place.

"So, I have a question for you," he spoke after a moment of silence.

His voice was a tad unsure and nervous which wasn't like him. He took the hand that was still caressing his perfect face in his and looked deeply into my eyes. Before I knew it, he was on one knee in the sand. I gasped understanding what was happening.

"Zera Hailey Roberts of Earth, will you marry me?" he proposed so beautifully, showing me an amazing ring with a green Draculafrein diamond.

My heart was pounding heavily in my chest. The answer was obvious! But there was something else.

"But what about River?" I pointed out though she was the last thing I wanted to think about.

"This me isn't married. Here, I'm all yours," he grinned.

"Then yes!" I said excitedly.

He slipped the ring on my finger and stood up to kiss me passionately. My heart was exploding with joy. All my dreams were coming true.

And from that moment, the Doctor stayed by my side forever.

Again, a big thanks to all of you! I love writing and I'm happy to be able to share it with you guys! :)