Myah.

Myah.

Another day of getting rejected from a possible job. You would think that New York City, with its population would have a lot of open jobs, and them being desperate enough to hire anyone. But that wasn't the case. And I suppose it was my fault for thinking I could change things up for myself, as per usual the universe didn't believe there was any good in me anyway.

I walked down the streets as the November rain came pouring down on the city. I huddled under my denim jacket as people shoved past me to continue their lives, their routines. I realized the time, it has already started to go dark and I began now pushing past people to get deeper and deeper into the city, eventually being led to the part of the city that people most often avoid.

"Dammit, he's gonna kill me," I whispered to myself as I keep hurrying down the streets, as the sky has now grown dark.

I approach a familiar street corner where I see two men, I walk towards the figures.

"Myah?" One calls out.

I let out a sigh, "I'm sorry I'm late."

"Yeah, you best be. We have things to do, girl," the other man grumbles.

"Shut up Pug. She's my partner, not yours," my partner defends me.

I roll my eyes, "look I'm sorry. Can we get this stuff done?"

"What's the rush?" Pug grumbles. Pug was his nickname, no one cared for his name, we just call him pug, well because... He looks like a pug.

I look at my partner, "Miguel, what's our job?"

"We're heading to Queens," Miguel answers. "Queens doesn't fuck around, so be careful alright?"

"Please, telling Myah to take care of herself is just gonna kill you. Myah is one badass, " Pug dryly laughs.

It was true, with these assholes, I was widely known.

"Alright, lets go," Miguel orders. We get into Miguel's old black pickup truck and drive down the streets.

I guess this is where I introduce myself. My name is Myah Perez, and I'm Colombian but raised in the streets of Brooklyn. I grew up with basically nothing, and I still do but things have gotten better as I have made my name known. Which, I should mention I'm known more in the streets as one of the best burglars of New York, alongside with Miguel. We're respected, as we sell, we've never been caught, and we've earned some pretty good cash.

"We'll be there soon," Miguel announces.

I see the streets and buildings pass us as we approach our destination for the night. Pug and Miguel argue about something stupid, as I stay silent and think what we're dealing with tonight. I didn't realize this was just the beginning of something I never was prepared for.