25; change of heart

Start from the beginning

"Pretty fucking intense, huh? Usually it doesn't end like that. I know I musta fucking scared you." He flicked his tongue and raised his eyebrows, tilting his head back to the girl. Turning the knob of the tap, he gripped the bat and began rubbing it down with a cloth.

Vada's eyes flickered to his face then back down to the ground. "You do that often?"

"Throw people into a fucking fire? No. The iron, only if someone decides to cross me." He said simply, rubbing the cloth along the tip of the bat. Tossing the rag back onto the kitchen counter, he placed Lucille gently by the foot of the bed and looked down at her. Vada shut her eyes and sank back into the chair, gripping tightly onto the arm rests.

"And people cross you a lot?" She asked, fixated on the wall ahead of her. Negan took notice of her discomfort and sat parallel on the leather couch across the coffee table.

"Not a lot. Most don't have the fucking balls." He rubbed his palms together and gave a chilling smirk. Vada furrowed her eyebrows slightly.

"Isn't it sad?" She asked, fiddling with her fingers. Her lips parted as she met the eyes of the man in front of her. Negan shifted in his seat and leaned forward, clasping his hands together.

"What, sweetheart?"

"Everybody's scared of you." She sniffed and turned her head to the side, suddenly afraid to meet his gaze.

"That's a good thing." Running his tongue over his top row of teeth, he tilted his head. "I get the message across. Nobody tries to fucking cross me anymore or," he lifted his finger, pointing towards the door, "that shit happens."

"Yet he still did it," she said, raising her eyebrows.

"And I don't hold back on my promises."

"So you think this is what it takes to be a good leader?" She squinted her eyes.

Negan leaned back in his chair and stroked his chin. "I've got a crew of men behind me and a hell of a lot of people I'm keeping safe. So fuck yeah, I'm doing this shit right."

"So does my father," she said a little too quickly, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "He has people he keeps safe, like me. I've made it all these years. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. He doesn't," she gulped, vigorously shaking her head, "iron people. Or, kill people when he doesn't have to. And people still respect him."

"Your father and I don't exactly see eye to eye sweetheart." He flicked his tongue over the roof of his mouth. "We're both good leaders. But he's a fucking pussy. Can't do what he needs to keep his family safe."

Vada leaned forward, her lips forming a straight line. "You don't know half the shit he's done to keep his family alive."

"You're right. Maybe he threw that all out the fucking window when I came along." He jerked his head and bit his lip. Vada slumped back on the sofa and raised her arm to her forehead. Shutting her eyes, she inhaled sharply.

"He's a good man." She said quietly, her shoulders slumping back. Getting up from her position on the sofa, she made her way over to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water. Negan followed quick on her trail and stood directly behind her, arm reaching over her shoulder to grasp a bottle of Vodka.

"You want some?" He asked, holding up the bottle. Vada gave a slight head shake and leaned against the counter, her knuckles turning pale.

Negan placed his free hand gently on her waist and leaned over her shoulder. "Calm the fuck down, Vada."

"I don't think I could take it. Living here, seeing you do that shit. I'm not built for that." She shook her head and took a sip of the water, slurping from the brim of the glass. Negan ran his callous hand down her waist and then raised it to her shoulder, gripping onto the upper part of her arm