Chapter 27

Namara held Jay close to her with one strong arm, with her other arm she shot out a strong steel cable, which wrapped around a pole hanging from a building. It slowed their fall, and Namara hit the ground, searing pain flashing up her legs as the bones fractured and then healed. 

  She set Jay down, ignoring his protests, and dragged him behind her as she sprinted down the road. Jay and Namara could run faster than any human, both gifted with an animal like speed and endurance. Namara's combat boots slammed into the pavement.

 They ran down the road, until they got to an abandoned parking lot. Namara knew this was where Steve parked his motorcycle, and she actually felt awful for what she as going to do next. She'd pulled his keys off him when he'd collided with her in the hallway. Namara couldn't drive a car, but she could operate a motorcycle. Namara mentally apologized to Steve as she pulled the keys out and turned the engine on. 

  Namara climbed onto the motorcycle, and Jay climbed on behind her. "Namara," He whispered, "I'm scared."

  "I know. Just hold on little brother."

 Jay wrapped his arms around Namara's waist, burying his face in the back of her leather jacket. Namara steered the motorcycle out of the parking lot, and sped off down the road. The wind roared in her ears, whipping her hair back away from her face. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 An hour later, Namara parked the motorcycle on the side of the road. She left a note, apologizing to Steve. She knew he'd find his motorcycle, it was easy to track.

  Jay had fallen asleep as they were driving, he blinked groggily at Namara. 

"Jay, can you run?"

 He nodded.

 Namara grabbed his hand and together they took off into the woods. Both with their animal like sense and agility could do better in the forest than an ordinary person. They would have the advantage. 

  So they ran as fast as they could, leaping over logs and branches. Ran with a tireless energy. Ran for their lives, and for their freedom.