Chapter 14

Namara woke with a jolt, sitting up her head pounding. She groaned, as yesterdays events came rushing back to her. Her panic attack, collapsing, have one of her episodes, Steve finding her like that. Pathetic.

  She collapsed back on the pillows, sighing. She hated showing weakness, hated needing help. Jess had always made sure Namara was out of sight when she'd had one of her episodes. Made sure no one at the Circus had seen her.

 Namara didn't want to leave the room and face Steve, after he knew how weak she was. For all her strength and agility and her mutation, there were still moments when she was completely helpless. But she forced herself to sit up, and get dressed.

 Pulling off her dirty shirt from yesterday, Namara glanced at herself in the mirror. Roping scars wound their way over her hips, and burns ran down from her collarbones. Her shoulder blades were covered in marks that looked like they'd been made from razorblades. Those were things HYDRA had done to her, back when she was weak, when she couldn't heal. 

  Focusing back on the task at hand, Namara pulled a long sleeved black shirt out from her dresser. She pulled her long black hair up into a ponytail, leaving some of her hair loose to hang down over her left eye. Her green eye. 

  After lacing up her black combat boots, Namara stalked out of her room and into the hallway like a wraith. 

 "Namara, are you alright?" Steve's voice came from around the corner.

   Namara stopped walking, sighing before turning around, "I'm fine Steve."

 "Does what happened last night happen often?"

"Sometimes, not often," Namara snapped. "It's not your problem." She didn't want Steve to care, and didn't want him pressing her further. 

  Steve looked like a sad puppy, that she'd just kicked, and she instantly felt bad. But she didn't have a choice. He scratched the back of his head, "Natasha wanted me to tell you that you've been cleared to work with SHIELD. Your being reassigned to the helacarrier."

  "Alright. I'll pack my bag." Namara turned and walked away. She would miss some of the Avengers, but it was better to be away from people she cared about. People who got too close to Namara ended up dying.