Rescue Bots: Grateful (Kade x Heatwave)

***POST S2E19***

Heatwave had never been so exhausted in his life. And that was saying something, because his job required a hell of a lot of energy.

But this was a different kind of tired. Heatwave guessed it was because this mission required so much more than just physical strength--for one, he had to 'reach into his spark', and the worst wave of pain he would get all day came just from doing that. Even though Optimus seemed fairly proud of him for getting it the first time he tried, Heatwave kind of wished he hadn't. It felt like every circuit in his body was being electrocuted and attacked at the same time, and it left a tingling, burning sensation behind that made the firebot want to curl up in a ball at the bottom of the sea and rust.

Then, despite being weakened and sore, Heatwave had been expected to scan and master a third mode in time to rescue his family and return home without collapsing or passing out from fatigue.

And then make it through what was left of the day.

Excellent.

And now that he finally had a chance to rest, he couldn't. Heatwave just wanted to feel numb; but his mind was painfully blank, and his sore frame screaming for relief that he couldn't give it. The longer he tried to let recharge find him, the harder it got, until eventually, around 12:45, he decided it was pointless.

Heatwave dragged his pedes across the floor, ignoring the tsunami of warning lights and alerts that flooded his HUD. He managed to get halfway across the bunker before his legs gave out and he was forced to sit down on the couch, massaging his aching thighs.

The sound of the lift lowering to his level startled Heatwave. Who in their right mind would be up at this time? Of course, Heatwave wasn't in his right mind at the moment, but who would be crazy enough to join him?

The red mech was even more surprised to see Kade step down from the platform, rubbing sleep from his eyes and pulling his blanket closer around him. He trudged across the room and, upon noticing his partner staring at him, grinned.

"Nice to see someone else shares my love of waking up in the middle of the night." Kade grumbled sarcastically, pulling himself up on the couch beside Heatwave.

"Technically it's the morning." Heatwave couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Yeah, whatever..." the redhead mumbled, burrowing deeper into his comforter until only the tips of his carrot-colored hair were visible.

"So why're you up?" He slurred after a moment, blinking sleepily up at the mech. Heatwave didn't know if it was the exhaustion clouding his processor, but he found the gesture strangely adorable.

"I can't sleep."

"You and me both, buddy." Kade yawned, leaning against Heatwave's leg lazily.

There it was again. That word. 'Buddy'. Kade had never used it to describe Heatwave before, and it was beside the mech why he would suddenly start using it now. They were both too invested in their pride to show other people how much they really did care about each other.

Heatwave sighed. "Okay, what happened between you and Optimus when I was out?"

Kade lifted his head slowly, shifting so that he was nestled in a more comfortable position on the mech's thigh. "Whaddya mean?"

Heatwave subconsciously placed a servo over his human, running a digit along Kade's spine gently. "What did he say to you?"

Kade leaned into the firebot's caress, closing his eyes contentedly. For a moment he considered lying, but decided that Heatwave had been put through more than enough for a while that he shouldn't have to worry about whatever excuses Kade could come up with.

"He told me you treasured our friendship."

He was silent for a minute.

Then, "Do you?"

Now it was Heatwave's turn to be mute as he allowed Kade's words to sink in. Why would Optimus tell Kade something like that? Sure, he cared deeply for his partner, more than words could tell, but did the Prime have a reason for bringing it up with Kade without Heatwave being there?

Heatwave sighed, cupping his free servo under Kade's flush body and placing it over his spark. He could feel the human's hot breath on his metal, his spark humming in delight as Kade began to trace the Autobot symbol that was engraved on his chest.

"Yes," Heatwave answered simply.

He didn't have to say anything other than that. Somehow he knew Kade understood, watching his fingers go limp as he drifted into sleep on Heatwave's chassis, his head resting on the symbol he had been tracing. Heatwave allowed a small smile to creep across his face, seeing his human so content and peaceful with him.

Somehow Kade had always understood. And Heatwave was grateful for that.