Chapter 10.5--My Attitude Feels As Dry As The Thanksgiving Turkey

Start from the beginning

"Oh Cheesus," I said grinning. "Could you have found a nerd?"

Ashley blushed. Her cheeks were already red from the cold, but the blush was noticeable. "Who would have thought right? Actually, when I started talking to him I kept thinking of you."

"Why's that?" I asked even though I knew the answer.

"You're a nerd," She sang softly. "He's a nerd. All the guys you've ever liked and the one you dated—all nerds."

I shrugged, "I had a type."

"Had?" Ashley turned to face me, a wide smile brightening her lips. "Have you met someone Park?"

Now it was my turn to blush. "You did!" Ashley pointed an accusing finger in my face. "You did you did you did!"

"Not really Ash," I said stopping in my tracks to pick up some snow. "It's complicated."

"I don't care," She almost shrieked. "I want to hear all about it."

I contemplated to tell Ashley the truth about my roommates. She was probably the only person who lives in Michigan I could trust in telling about Pierce and Aaron. Maybe she wasn't great at keeping secrets, but there's a difference in telling old acquaintances of mine and my parents. Ashely isn't the person to go around and tell my family.

I took a deep breath, "He's my roommate. Or at least one of them."

Ashely's mouth dropped and she grabbed my arm to start shaking me violently, "What?"

"My roommates are brothers," I added as I tried to get out of her grip.

She took a step back, putting her hand to her mouth. "Who are you and what have you done to Parker?"

I chuckled, "Told you it's complicated."

Ashley and I kept walking towards the cabin. She was still in shock and kept glancing at me like I grew a third eye. "Have you like..." She moved her hands in the form of an innuendo.

"No Ash," I said rolling my eyes. "I'm not that changed."

She nodded, shrugging a bit. "So what's his major? Mathematics? Physics? Does he wear suspenders and snort when he laughs?"

Picturing Aaron doing all that made me laugh to a point where tears were in the corner of my eyes. "No he's not a nerd from the 70's. What about your guy? Does he snort when he laughs?"

"No," Ashley blushed more. "He does tuck in all his shirts in khakis and wears big glasses though."

When I started laughing, Ashley joined in. We both seemed to have changed a lot after verging. Maybe if I had stayed in Michigan, we wouldn't have changed at all. It's one of those 'what if' questions we would never find the answer to.

We finally reached the cabin and as we walked up the steps, Ashley was telling me about everything she was doing on campus. I told her all about Miami and how different it is compared to here. She asked if maybe sometime she could come visit. I told her to just give me a heads up but that I would love for her to come.

"I'm glad you moved on from Jeromy," Ashely said as we grabbed our coffees. The cabin is cozy and warm. A small fire burning in the corner where a few people were sitting around and reading books on comfy sofas.

We went to a window seat, where we sat down on a couch and faced each other like little girls that were gossiping. "How is Jeromy doing?" I asked curiously.

Here's the second piece of history about myself that I've vaguely mentioned before: I had a high school sweet heart boyfriend named Jeromy. We were friends our sophomore year in high school. Junior year rolled around and we got a lot closer because we took a lot of the same classes. He asked me to be his girlfriend when summer started. We went through a summer love and we dated through senior year. I lost my virginity about a year into the relationship—which for me seemed like a good amount of time. We were each other's first everything. First relationship, first kiss, first hook up. Everything.