Rebirth

As he woke up Holden felt the pain of hunger for the first time since he had awoken from hypersleep. Hopefully he checked his email, but yet again found no replies. Climbing from his bed Holden wandered the halls until he came across a dining hall. It was full of fluorescent light and few others littered the many tables. Coming closer Holden saw a screen at each place setting where one could select their meal.

Selecting the special of the day Holden sat contemplating whether or not his sacrifice had been worth it. The dining hall filled slowly and there were hushed whispers regarding the day's mission. The boys seemed excited, ready for the adventure for which they had left their futures for. The girls seemed apprehensive, some even seemed borderline angry, as a group passed he heard them whisper angrily about having to stay behind.

Behind, he pondered, what had Blaze told them. It wasn't until he had gone to the docking bay that he realized that not a single girl was among the group. Alone as he was Holden stood among but not with a group. He boarded a ship without problem and marveled as he glanced out the window, the stars shone brighter than they ever could have at home, and the planet itself appeared more magical than any that a human mind could conjure.

Approaching slowly the fleet descended into the atmosphere. As they neared the surface the colors grew even more vibrant, Holden found himself shielding his eyes. It all of the sudden dawned on him that their were no space suits on board. "Do we have space suits? A way to check the type of gas on this planet? The temperature, the effect the gravity will have on us, whether or not the liquid is acid?" he asked worriedly.

The other boys appeared not to hear him so he nervously walked to the dashboard and attempted to radio contact another ship. No signal returned and Holden walked back to his seat. The landing was rough but nothing that could not combated by strapping into the seats. When at last the ships had landed on the bright purple landmass and the doors had opened Holden was the first to rise. Seeing that he was the first to arrive Holden muttered, "I ought to say something poetic shouldn't I."

"One for the history books," said a boy behind him.

Turning to look upon the boy Holden found Amber. "You shouldn't be here," Holden whispered.

"Then don't blow my cover," Amber said with a smirk. Pushing past him Amber began inspecting the ground. "Springy isn't it? Suppose it's similar to the moss back home?" she said turning to him.

"Uh yes definitely," said Holden confused, "tell me how you ended up here."

"One of the guys got sick and wanted me to fill in for him," she said with a shrug. "Anyway we should begin taking samples," she said producing a bag from under her jacket. Cutting a strip of the turf away and tucking it into a vial she walked to a nearby plant and began to take a sample of it. Holden observed the boys trickling from the ships and strode nearer to Amber. They traversed around the surrounding area photographing and taking samples of everything they could find. When they came to a nearby pond they approached apprehensively due to its radioactive shade of orange.

After cautiously throwing in three leaves, a strip of turf, and some tree bark, they approached the pond alertly. Holden reached toward the liquid but Amber quickly knocked his hand away. "We have to test the pH you idiot," she said as she pulled out strips from her bag.

"Course I knew that," Holden scoffed.

"I'm sure you did," Amber scoffed. "The pH is about that of milk, you're good to stick your hand in it then," she mocked.

Holden took a sample and requested that they return to the ship. Amber reluctantly conceded and the pair returned to the ship. The other boys came in a flood, and it wasn't until the ships had begun to take off that Holden heard a small boy whimpering in the back. As he located the source of the crying Holden went to check on him. The boy looked 11 he was clutching his leg and tears streamed down his face.