'It's almost time!' Nicole squealed excitedly, looking juvenile with her short stature and beaming smile. The group all smiled at each other and jumped up. Rebekah was designated driver and Elena had to say that it was impressive when she saw that Rebekah had brought along her pink Ferrari for the occasion.

'Isn't it a bit too much?' Elena laughed as Chloe and Nicole gawked at the vehicle.

'It's nothing, darling. Jump in!' Rebekah smiled and threw herself into the driver's seat, they others jumping over the side of the convertible to sit in the back seat.

'Party time!' Nicole and Chloe squealed, not a second in between them, sending the car into raucous laughter. The car pulled out of the drive at an alarming speed as Chloe's mum waved them off, smiling. She didn't seem to be fazed by the car that almost radiated pink in the driveway- Rebekah must have shown it to her before. Elena laughed at the thought and turned around in the front seat to talk to her friends in the back.

Klaus, on the other hand, was panicking. He didn't panic often but when he had the right to, he did so. Now was one of those times. The party was not ready, at all. 'Jemima! Megan!' He roared, his eyes flashing amber- he had tried and failed to conceal his eyes but when the two hybrids saw, they both immediately froze nervously. 'Why the hell is none of this finished!' He shouted, throwing his arms into the air.

Megan stumbled on her words and nothing of sense came out. 'My family...wait, no, Um...' Klaus rose his eyebrows, his mouth set into a thin line of anger- his eyes were amber again. Jemima intervened.

'The party is ready, it's in the other room.' Jemima stated.

'Yes, but why is there nothing in this room!' He roared, taking a step towards the two girls who both stumbled back and although Megan nearly fell, Jemima stayed on her feet- standing tall.

'You did not request that.' She stated, calmly and he sighed.

'I shouldn't have to. This whole house should be decorated.' Klaus growled but his stance more relaxed than before. He realised his mistake. The workers couldn't read his mind. He sighed and fell back onto this sofa. 'Lock all the doors to this room as soon as I leave.' He stated and stormed out, clenching his fists before relaxing them again. He needed to be calm for this.

He left the room and silence fell. He glanced over the preparations and everything else, it seemed, had been done to perfection. It was most likely Jemima's now focused vision that had caused the precision. She had taken her newly claimed sight to its limits but didn't rely on it, she was the perfect weapon. Of course, Klaus couldn't think of that now. Elena was about to arrive and he had to be perfect. Klaus ran upstairs and begun to frantically change when he heard the door open.

The whole house remained silent, just as he instructed and when he found his place on the stairs and the lights were switched on, cheers of 'happy birthday!' erupted throughout the room. Klaus smiled down at Elena and her friends. His smile was warm and Elena took the weakness to her advantage. 'Klaus, thank you!' She squealed, reverting to her old, immature self and flung herself up the stairs and into Klaus' arms. Elena had grown up fast and despite her childhood being so manic and unpredictable, she had grown up to be a perfect woman. She wasn't immature nor did she fit into the norm of her age category. She was as ageless as the rest of them were. She was unique, she was perfect. That was what Klaus thought, at least.

'Do I get my presents yet?' She smirked devilishly and Klaus nodded. She looked surprised but didn't say a word. Her mouth was clamped shut and she couldn't help but let her mind wander to the possibilities of what this could be. 'I don't want to ruin your birthday but this is for you, remember that. And, remember that I love you.' Elena had no words and as Klaus leant in she felt herself rise despite not meaning too. She wanted this much as he did and she hadn't realised just how much at that moment. The realisation hit as her lips touched his and they were locked in their own world. The guests smiled when they saw the sight and despite a few people from school being terribly confused, they knew that Klaus was not her father, only a guardian and on a child's eighteenth birthday, any guardian responsibility is revoked. And despite never being her legal guardian, it felt as if that it had just been revoked. Elena was dead in the records but she could never have felt more alive.

She pulled away, smiling as was Klaus. They were in a dream until Elena fell to her knees, clutching her head. Panic arose but Elena immediately shot her head up. 'What happened?' Klaus whispered, cradling her to his chest. She wasn't sad, though, but her smile had faded. 'I saw another life. I had two different friends, Caroline and Bonnie and Stefan...I loved him. You were there. I...I hated you. I lived in Mystic Falls too. I think...I think that was what my life was going to be- before you took me.' She gasped, all the information rolling out together. Klaus was piecing the bits together and agreed with her rash conclusion.

He smiled at her, timidly. 'It changes nothing, right?' He asked, his smile falling just slightly and she flashed him the widest smile she could. 'Of course not.'

The party continued on into the night and Elena finally found Klaus, beaming. 'Any other presents?' She teased, wrapping her arms around his waist. He smirked down at her. 'Nothing I know of, love. And, I think the car was enough.' Elena laughed generously and smiled again, gazing into the ocean of blue in front of her. 'I don't believe we didn't do this sooner.' She whispered and Klaus nodded in agreement.

'Me neither.'

'Can I make one more request, though.' Elena looked shyer now, her face falling again. Today a lot of things had been going through her head and she hadn't told a soul and somehow she didn't believe telling Klaus first was a good idea but it was the best one she had. She trusted him so he would be the first to know.

'Of course, love.' His face fell and he rose an eyebrow. Elena looked down to the ground but raised her head back up, looking strong.

'Klaus, I want to become a vampire.'

word count: 1829

published: 17.03.17