4.

Klaus stumbled through empty streets, searching for the house through his drunken state. As an original, it didn't exactly intoxicate him- it just brought him down to vampire level, a normal one at that. But, that was enough to make him weak.

He didn't care.

He had one task and that was to kill Elena.

Although, he was unlikely to succeed. Klaus, behind all his walls, cared too much for the young girl. It felt like history had repeated itself- Katherine was beautiful, he cared for her- enough to let her live. She thought he was good at running, little did she know he did have compassion; it was hidden deep but he held it dear, it was the last thing that gave him hope that he wasn't his father. He would never become his father. But, he was far too close for comfort.

Klaus paused, the mansion was in his view- one run and he could have his hand around her neck. He would take her life, he wouldn't care but then, he'd never be a hybrid. He would be stuck in his monster form, an original vampire: no stronger than his own siblings- no matter how many times he daggered them.

His eyes were adjusting to the blur of the alcohol, faces became clear, as did his brother's. 'Elijah.' He groaned.

'Brother.' He answered, stoically- not surprised his brother was drunk at this ungodly hour. 'How was business?' He asked slyly, knowing his 'business' was nothing more than a drinking parade in a local bar.

'It was great, brother.' He spat, skimming past him but was held back by a strong hand- Rebekah.

'And where do you think you're going, brother? I don't think it's safe for you to go home whilst muttering.' She paused and took a breath before imitating Klaus the best she could. 'Kill...kill...kill...must...kill... Elena. You know Nik, I've actually really enjoyed looking after this little girl and you need her for the ritual so no, you will not kill her.' Klaus was astounded, how did they know?

He had outsmarted them every time. But, for once, he was too drunk to think. This time, he was one drink too many. He was off guard and the paranoia set in.

'She deserves to die.' He gritted his teeth, baring them to his siblings. They didn't move an inch. Instead, they took a step towards him, each grabbing an arm each. They faced their brother, calm and composed. 'You care.' Elijah began, ready for an outburst- he was just greeted with Klaus' fangs growing to an unthinkable length.

'I do not care, Elijah!' He spat. 'The little girl is a nuisance, I will take the next bloody doppelganger and rip her throat out when needed.' He lied, they all knew, it was no secret that his reasoning made no sense. Nothing was more important than his ritual but, if he cared for this girl, the ritual would be over- he couldn't have that.

'Klaus. You need to calm down, the paranoia is getting to you again. Just come back with us, to her. Let her in- nothing will change whether you kill her or let yourself care. We all know that the ritual will now be delayed. This is a chance to redeem yourself, Nik, do it for us- always and forever.' Rebekah gently released his arm throughout her speech, followed willingly by Elijah. They wanted to trust their brother but their pasts were rocky. Both were only recently freed from their coffin, neither of them knew why- although they were both glad.

'I don't want to care.' He looked pathetic. The strong, brave Klaus stared longingly at the ground as if he wanted it to eat him whole, though he knew, even with magic, that wasn't possible.

'Redeem us, Nik. We have lived for a thousand years- it's time to do a good deed.' She smiled before muttering, 'though you did kidnap her, we'll just ignore that.'

Klaus returned his gaze to the desolate street around them and complied with a simple smile. 'I guess I need to talk to Elena then.' He returned to his egotistical self and led the group home. He was still shaky on his feet but was confident his siblings would protect him, he just wanted Elena back. Watching her from the shadows was no way to show his affection, he would care for the child like she was his daughter- and so she would become. That didn't mean Klaus would change, he promised himself that. But, it was a chance for him to show the world he wasn't just the bad guy- the big bad wolf as his father had said.

Klaus pushed open the front gate of the enormous, traditional house. 'Elena!' He called out. Immediately, his leg was encased by flesh and gorgeous brown hair. She was adorable and not even the king of evil himself could deny that. She looked up at him with large eyes and asked 'are you really back, Klausy?' He smiled down at her and nodded hesitantly. He didn't want to let her down but he wasn't sure he could truly commit to any promises- a nod would suffice.

The little girl threw her arms up, expecting a hug- which he gladly gave -whilst the other Mikaelson siblings went to their own sections of their home, smiling at their accomplishments. Klaus and Elena stayed put but went to sit on a sofa in the entrance hall. Klaus brought the little girl onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her tiny waist. 'So, little girl, what have I missed?' He whispered into his ear and she giggled quietly until she went into an extensive explanation- well as much as someone her age could –about her life until that point. It seemed Rebekah had taken on the mother status whilst Elijah had remained a teacher, leaving an open father spot- one they hoped Klaus would take. Although Elijah was only a teacher, Klaus felt a pang of jealousy as Elena talked about him with such awe. One day, he would get her to talk about him like that, unknowing that she already did.

They talked until the sun had risen and the little girl had fallen asleep on his lap, he didn't mind. He brought her into his arms and brought her bedroom before tucking her into bed and lightly kissing her on the forehead and saying goodnight.

For once in his immortal life, he felt happy- or as happy as he could be.

word count: 1091