Chapter 24: The Night Before Christmas

A/N: What better way to celebrate the 24th chapter with The Night Before Christmas?

"What are you reading?" Snape inquired after tea what his ward was reading. He was down in his lab when he did not hear the scruffling of the young boy's feet and so he called for him.

The boy did not answer. Snape knew that he could not be in the Owlery. The boy and him had sent their presents to their friends and colleagues earlier that day.

Snape decided to find his ward and found him reading some old, worn book. The child was in front of the Library's furnace, sprawled across the floor.

The boy did not answer directly, but instead, he read the title loudly, "The Night Before Christmas," and when he noticed Snape, the boy smiled up at him. It was one of those genuine yet rare smiles the boy offers to the selected people he knew he was safe with. A wave of warmth spread on Snape's heart.

"Ah, so you found one suitable story for someone your age."

The boy frowned, "It's a story for babies. I never let my Mum read it to me."

It was Snape's turn to frown, "A story is for every age, young one. And besides, later is indeed the night before Christmas. Let me read it to you."

"No, thank you, Professor," the boy then started to stand, but Snape held him down.

"No. I'll read it to you. How can you ever boast about the Classics when you do not even had the chance to read such a classic tale?"

Brandon elicited another frown, "It's not even that worth reading! Hans Andersen, Jules Verne. Those were the Classics. Not... This."

Snape tutted at his frowning ward, "Ah, you only say that because you have never had the chance to have it read to you. It's always better if someone reads to you, especially if-"

"Forgive my intrusion, Sir, but I can read it on my ow," the boy's chin was slightly tipping higher.

Snape sighed and his forehead wrinkled. Why is it that he was given such a stubborn ward?

"I know that you can read it on your own, but won't you at least listen, child?"

At the gentle tone, Snape was at least grateful to have seen the boy calm down a bit, "It's better to have someone read it to you. The experience is worth it, I promise."

"But-"

"No buts, Mister Potter. How about this," Snape said, using Slytherin cunning to win his own way out the argument, "If you let me read it to you, I'll give you a pass to my Laboratory. With due supervision, of course."

At the mention of the Laboratory, Bran's eyes sparkled, then dimmed in suspicion.

"You're only doing this because you know I won't and can't say no. That's so... Slytherin."

Severus chuckled, "I've been doing this far longer than you did."

But after all that, Bran smiled.

----

As the night grew darker, the pair were once again in the Library. Young Brandon was sitting near his Professor's feet, with Snape upon his favorite chair, holding the book. The spines of it were already showing the sign of age.

"My own mother reads it to me every Christmas. So to say, it was one of my favorite tales. How come you never let your Mother read it to you?" Snape asked, referring to Petunia.

Brandon looked down at his feet, hesitating. His small heart was hammering, fearing if he would tell the truth, Snape would only jeer at him. But in his confused state, a warm hand fell on his head, carding his hair ever so slightly. It was one of the best things in world, Bran decided right then and there. He looked up and found those black pools looking at him with gentleness and- Bran was unsure, he only saw those look upon his adoptive parents' eyes, but it was one look he could never forget- love.