Chapter 47: Discovery

Start from the beginning

Keira nodded, although she felt a bit uneasy. She looked how Abby pulled out her phone and typed something to find some information on the subject. She focussed her eyes on Abby's face, because she wanted to see her expression. Abby was always an open book with her emotions, so she would know when it was bad. She felt the familiar jolt in the pit of her stomach when she saw Abby's eyes widen, this wasn't good.

'OK, spill it. I don't care if it's bad,' Keira said with a blank face. Now she was this close to the information, she needed to know.

'I don't think you want to,' Abby said hesitantly and she quickly put her phone against her chest.

Keira sat up and grabbed the phone from Abby's hands. Her heart was pounding when she focussed her eyes on the screen. She felt her stomach drop when she realised what she was seeing. There she was, the girl from the restaurant, walking next to Seb. The photo was taken in a paddock and she felt a nagging feeling before she started to read the text. She almost forgot to breath when she had read the first line. Her name was Hanna and she was his girlfriend. She needed a few moments to let that sink in, Seb had a girlfriend. Her hands started to shake and she almost couldn't read the screen, but she wanted to read more.

When she had finished reading the text the tears were streaming down her cheeks again and it felt like she had been punched in the chest. She knew how that felt, so she wasn't exaggerating at all, it was painful to breath. Hanna was not only his girlfriend, they had been together since high school. How long ago must that have been, about eight or ten years? He had been together with this girl for as good as ten years and he hadn't bothered to tell her about Hanna. So he had not only hidden his career from her, but now also his personal life. Was there anymore left to hide?

She also started to feel nauseous again when she thought about Hanna. She had wondered if Seb had other girls, but she had been the other girl the whole time. She couldn't imagine how Hanna must be feeling when she found out. Would she find out though, or maybe she did know about it already. However the way they had acted during dinner showed her that she didn't know and that made her feel even worse. She now felt responsible for ruining such a perfect relationship, Seb probably must be her whole life. It also made a lot of sense now why they were always staying at her house and never at Seb's, because they probably lived together. Her stomach lurched when she imagined Seb going home after spending time with her and stepping into his bed to sleep next to Hanna.

'It's even worse than I imagined,' Keira whispered as she handed Abby her phone back. 'They look so happy together.'

'He never told you about her?' Abby asked while trying to sense Keira's feelings.

'Nope, never. From what I read she doesn't go to race weekends very often, almost never really. No one from the team told me either, but I think it's just not the first subject you discuss with people. Also no one knew about us really, so they didn't think it was necessary. Or maybe they thought I already knew, who knows,' Keira had clinched her fists to divert her anger, but she wasn't making much progress. She was angry at Seb, but also angry at herself for not noticing anything. Maybe if she had asked Macy, she would've told her, but then again she never thought he had a girlfriend.

'This really is fucked up, especially because he's really into you. Don't say he isn't, because I have seen you two interact for a whole weekend and I know what I'm talking about. Also the way he acted when he found out about Alonso told me enough about his feelings. Poor girl though, I bet she doesn't know anything,' Abby shook her head in disbelief.

'I feel dirty know. If I had known I would never have kissed him or acted the way we did,' Keira said and she felt guilt starting to rise. If she had googled him more thoroughly she would have known sooner, but she always thought that he had told her anything. How wrong she had been. She felt so betrayed, especially after sharing a lot of personal things with Seb, for fuck's sake they kissed. He kissed her while being in a long-term relationship, that was wrong on so many levels. It also didn't fit with the guy she had became to know, that Seb would never do something like this.