Journal Entry #8-- Reese

I started a fight today.

Okay, so like, I didn't start the fight, I just swung the first punch.

Let me explain:

I've been understandably on edge ever since Emilie told us about the email on Saturday. I spent all of Saturday and all of Sunday freaking out over it, and it's been eating away at me. 

I mean, it's a big deal, ya know?

So, anyways, when I got to school this morning, I was stressed out and cranky, which is unlike me. The group noticed something was off, but I just sort of told them not to worry about it and they let it go.

And everything was fine and good until we got to lunch. 

We were in the middle of eating- AK, Shep and I all have the same lunch period- when Callie Waters walked her fat butt over (this is an exaggeration and poorly done insult. She is not fat. She's actually really skinny, which is one of the many reasons why I hate her) and perched her hands on her hips and pasted the most fake looking smile on her caked on makeuped face.

I was picking at my salad while AK was talking to Shep, and so I was the first to notice her standing there.

I set my fork down immediately and looked up. In retrospect, AK would have handled this a lot better. I should have let her handle it. She tends to handle conflict better than me. She thinks, I anger.

Anyway. 

So, I looked up and raised an eyebrow and said, "Can I help you with something?"

She continued to smile, and then she said in the most whiny, high pitched, sterotypical, teenage girl voice, "I was just wondering how Jasper was doing?"

Let's pause right here, just a second.

Jasper was not popular. Jasper was sweet and Jasper was kind, and Jasper was everything that popular people are basically not.

Callie Waters, is popular. She's manipulative, she's fake, and she is words that I am not allowed to use.

Callie does not interact with people like Jasper or I, unless it's to mock us or laugh at us from across the hallway. 

Which is totally fine with us- we don't like populars. We don't hang with them, and that's good with us.

So, the fact that Callie was standing there asking about him like she cared about him, like she was his friend was all a little bit too much for me.

Okay and now we're back:

So, I picked my fork back up and stabbed a piece of lettuce in an attempt to calm myself down.

At this point, people at the surrounding tables were watching- as I have a slight reputation of having anger problems and Callie Waters was talking to me.

AK and Shep were watching too, and while AK looked scared of the whole situation, Shep just looked amused.

Per usual.

After a second I looked up at her and pasted a fake smile of my own on my face and said sweetly, "He's doing just about as well as that belt is doing at keeping your fat in."

Again, Callie Waters is not fat. But I was thinking on my feet. And if you look really hard, you can see something there. Maybe.

Anyway, whether it was a good insult or not, the entire cafeteria was freaking out at this point. 

I sat there and watched Callie sputter for a few seconds, face turning as red as her pumps, until she finally settled on a few words and spat them out.

"I hope he dies."

That is what she said to me.

Those are the words she chose to say to my face.

AK burst into tears next to me, and I watched as Shep hardened his jaw, and his hand on the table twitched. "I'd really love to punch the everloving daylights out of you right now," he hissed at her.

She batted her long eyelashes at him and said, "Well, I'm a girl, and you're a guy. Sucks for you."

At this point, I wasn't really even thinking straight anymore. My salad lay long forgotten on the table. AK was still in tears next to me. And I was all done with Callie Waters.

She had the freaking audacity to walk up to MY lunch table and then say that to our faces.

Aw, heck no.

So, the only reasoning behind what I did next was that I was mad and all done.

I stood up, shoving my salad back on the table. And everyone started talking again. Cause when the girl with the pink hair and the piercings stands up because you've pissed her off, you stare.

I walked around the table and stuck my finger right in Callie's face and this is what I said: "You're right, Callie. You're a girl, and he's a guy."

And then I smiled again, that sickly sweet smile that she always wears that I hate.

And I leaned in closer to her and whispered in her ear, "But I'm not."

And then I punched her right in the nose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, yeah. I have detention for a month, and the only reason I managed to talk myself out of a suspension was because they know all we've all been through, and blah blah blah.

My mom is mad at me, and I've seriously pissed off the populars, and I'm pretty sure I'm grounded.

But the silver lining is this:

a) I feel better.

b) Shep and AK were grateful.

c) I broke Callie Water's nose.

Boo-yah.