Chapter Fourteen| Not What, Who

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. “Do you want coffee or not?”

Her eyes go wide at the thought and she nods rapidly.

By the time the three of us get down stairs, the clock above the sink reads half past eight and the sun sends rays through the kitchen that fall across the the stove were Parker stands cooking us oatmeal, which he insisted on making, stating “You’ve never had anything like it.”

Noel sits across the island from me, her head laying flat against the counter. Parker places a bowl in front of both of us, the oatmeal, which smells like cinnamon, is topped with almonds and fruit. Impressed, I look up at Parker who sets mugs filled with coffee in front of us. “Thanks.” Noel says quietly as she sips the black liquid, grimacing at the bitterness of it.

“Headache?” I ask through a mouthful of oatmeal. Noel nods, resting her chin against her wrist.

“You have no idea.” She takes another sip of her coffee as Parker sits down next to me.

He glances at me worriedly before sipping his coffee. “What happened last night, Noel?”

Noel straightens up a bit. “Do you honestly want to know?”

Parker nods. “I wouldn’t have asked otherwise.”

Noel groans, running a hand through her bangs. “Lets see, where should I begin? How about when Sable and I found Alex about to get it in or how I got completely trashed and-” Parker raises his hand and cuts her off.

“Alex did what?”

Noel gives me a pointed look, gesturing for me to answer while sipping her coffee. I sigh and let my spoon slip back into the bowl. “We walked in on Alex and some girl about to have sex.” I say dully. Parker raises a brows at me before turning his gaze back to Noel.

“Sorry he did that to you. You don't deserve that.” Noel rubs her thumb down the side of her mug, her foot tapping anxiously against the leg of her stool.

“Thanks, Parker. I got over it pretty fast, though. A bottle of tequila and not only do my clothes fall off but my dignity goes out the door as well.” Unsure of what exactly she means, I sit up in my seat, watching as her cheeks turn red and her eyes search the countertop in front of her.

"Noel, what did you do?”

She mutters something under her breath and I scoot closer to the edge of my seat, leaning over the counter. “What did you do?” I ask again. Noel leans back in her stool, kicking her feet against the wall of the island before running her hands over her face. Beside me, Parker grabs my bowl out from under me and takes a spoonful.

“Not what,” She says. “more like, who?”

I pause, looking over to Parker who looks between the two of us as he eats my breakfast. “Alright, who?”

Noel smiles sheepishly, rubbing her arms. “It might have been Motley.” I jump back as Parker spits coffee over the counter in shock, pounding his fist against his chest as he coughs.

 “You didn’t.” I say, watching the way she bites her lip and smiles.

 “I did. In that tall bush at the top of the abandoned beach houses driveway.”

I blink at her, remembering the shuffling I had heard as I waited for Nolan to come get me. “So, that’s what I heard.” Noel blushes deeply, hiding her face in the crook of her arm while Parker watches her carefully, wiping up the coffee he spit out.

“Was he-”

“Wasted? Yeah. So was I.”

I lean forward slightly, curiosity getting the best of me, pressing my hand to the side of my mouth I whisper “How was it?” hoping Parker doesn’t hear me. As my luck goes, he does and I look over to see him glaring at me. A smile erupts onto Noel’s face as she giggles.