chapter 4

So there is a second Kira. How interesting. I walk over to my first class, still thinking about how there are two kira's.

"Vissa, you have a new assignment." Mikaro said, approaching me on my way to class. I stop right in front the classroom, my hand inches away from the knob. A new assignment? I hadn't had one of those in a long time. I try to act nonchalant as I turn away from the door and start to walk in the opposite direction.

"Hey kaya." I hear Light call and I turn to look over my shoulder at him. He's right by the door, looking at me.

"Yes?" I ask, trying to remain calm.

"Why aren't you coming to class?" he asks.

"Oh I just remembered I forgot something at home I need." I respond coolly.

"I'll walk you there. I'm assuming you took a cab here and it's not safe to walk by yourself so early in the morning." He says, coming over to me.

"No no it's alright I'll be fine." I say trying to act like normal but I'm to shaken inside to really stay in character all that well.

"I insist." He says with a smile. I grin at him on the outside, but I'm seething inside. How was I supposed to get my job down with him around?

"Alright thanks." I respond. I lead the way to my hotel and he looks in awe at the hotel.

"You stay at a hotel?" he asks in surprise.

"Yeah. My dad's a CEO of a huge company and refuses to allow me stay anywhere by myself, so he makes the staff here watch over me for paying extra." I say like I'm embarrassed. It's just one lie after another today.

We take the elevator up to the top floor and I use my card to open the door. He walks in after me, looking around. "Penthouse?" He asks in amusment.

"I didn't want to stay in a stuffy hotel room, I wanted freedom." I say with a shrug. I shuffle around in the kitchen, pretending to look for something school related, while honestly I was looking for the book. I finally find it and sigh in relief. I thought I'd lost it. I open it up and find a inside a name of some random person in the city. I stuff the book in my backpack and turn to Light, who's watching me curiously.

"Ready?" He asks. I nod but grimace in pain, putting a hand to my forehead.

"What's wrong?" He asks, coming towards me.

"I just don't feel too well. I think I'm coming down with something. I think I'm just going to stay home today." I say, gripping the counter for support to my fake pain and giving Light a weak smile.

"Alright. Let me know if you need anything." He says and then heads out. Five minutes later I'm up and ready, running out the door and heading down the elevator. I opened up the book to where the name was with an address and time was written down. I had fifteen minutes to get there. I snap my book shut and stick it under my arm. I run out of the hotel and down the street, the way to the address coming to me easily.

I get there with two minutes to spare and sigh in relief. "That was quick." Mikaro says. I shrug.

"I had to be on time." I say and look at the place. It was a peaceful park. Beautiful place to die. I hold my right hand out and my scythe appears to me, materializing in my hands. I walk into the park to see the man, about in his seventies sitting on the park bench feeding pigeons. He looked up when he heard me, a startled look coming over him before he nodded and stood up, smiling kindly at me, catching me off guard. I had only reaped five users of the death note before and none of them looked happy to see me, when I explained why I was there of course.

"I see you've finally come for me. Back around fifty years ago I picked up a death note off the ground and took it home. I hadn't planned to write in it, but I wanted to test it even so, to see if it was real. So I wrote the name of my sister's ex-boyfriend who would hit her. I hated that man with every fiber of my being. He died and I was horrified. The owner of the death note, my shinigami told me I would now never go to heaven nor hell. I asked where I would go and he couldn't say, but he did say that when it was my time to go, the reaper would come to steal my soul." He said.

On the ouside, I showed no emotion, but on the inside I was sad. I had hated this job since the first I had to do it. Most of the time, the people deserved it, but not this man.

"Is your name Taiko Tarusima?" I ask monotonously. He nods.

"I am the reaper of this world. It is my job to take the souls of those humans who have abused the death note to death. I will take your soul to the land of neither heaven nor hell. Are you aware of your use of the death note?" I ask.

"Yes." he says. "I accept this. I deserve this." He says. I had never seen someone so accepting.

"occupanti vitae, anima est nunc damnatus ad neithe caelum nec infernum. Anima maledictus ad hoc poena."

I spin the scythe around my fingers expertly and then thrust the scythe to the ground, where it stopped just above the ground, a dark portal opening up in the earths ground. The air crackled with electricity with the dark portal. I pointed the scythe at him and a thin bright white light appeared from his eyes. His soul. It only took a moment for his soul to leave his body and his body fell limp against the ground. He'd had a heart attack. It is what all death note users suffer in the end, unless changed by a shinigami. His soul beamed straight into the dark portal. I spun the scythe away and the portal closed.

I sighed and held the scythe out to the right once more and it disappeared. I called an ambulence like I always did, though there wasn't any reason. I had already taken his soul, there was no returning once that happens.

I turn to leave and come face to face with Light who's eyes are wide with shock. My eyes widen as well. Had he seen? "What are you?" He asks in shock. He had seen. This would be fun to explain. However first I checked his life line. It was time to know now if he had used a death note.

No time of death. He had used a death note. And now I knew. Most likely, he was Kira. I turn my face away from him, not able to look at him. I hated my job. I really do. "You have your secrets, and I have mine." I whisper trying to walk past him but he grabs my wrist, stopping me.

"You need to tell me now." He says in a dangerous voice.

"Why don't you tell me the truth, Light? Then I'll explain everything." I snap. He let's go of my wrist turning away and walking off.

"Your life is not an easy one, Vissa." Mikaro says somberly. I brush hair out of my eyes and sigh.

"Yeah. Mikaro is Light Kira?" I ask.

"What do you think, Vissa?" He asks.

"I used my shinigami eyes on him. I couldn't see his life line. That means he has used a death note, and I'm positive Light is Kira now." I say sadly.

"What will you do?" Mikaro asks, prompting me to find an answer.

"There's no way he'll trust me now, and there's no way I'll be able to get close to him now that he knows one of my secrets. I have to turn the tables around." I say softly.

"How will you do that?"

"You'll see." I say.

****

This story will have a very different ending from how Death note ended. However it may be happy it may not be. I actually haven't decided yet.