Chapter 19: Clowning Around

Start from the beginning

Every organ in my body seemed to turn upside down at that moment. I knew that noise. I knew what paired with the particular sound of the bell and who wore it.

Without hesitation, I carefully got off the bed, millimeter by millimeter releasing the weight of my body from the springs so they wouldn't make a noise. I stood up with tight shoulders, my hands out, and slowly began to approach the gap in my curtains, where a sliver of the moons light escaped. I knew what I had to do. I had to open the window and climb down the fire stairs, even if I was deathly afraid of yes, you guessed it...

Heights.

I took a single step and heard the soft moan of the wood beneath my foot.

I winced. It was just too loud for someone not to hear. My back stiffened. My heart resembled a metronome on its highest count.

The bell I heard minutes before had rung again, this time quickly muted, muted as if someone had grabbed the bell in their strong hand and strangled it because they hadn't meant at all to make the sound.

The noise was directly behind me. The Clown had entered my room.

I felt them step in front of me, their feet hitting the ground with inhuman softness. The abruptly curtains opened. I could feel them turn around, face me. I shut my eyes. If they were to kill me I didn't want to see any part of them.

The bell rang again. Again. Again, close to my face. It was torturing me without even touching me.

Ignoring the obnoxiously loud thudding of my heart I forced my eyes open. My eyes drifted over tall Chicago buildings outside the window. I slowly turned completely around--there was no sign of life anywhere in my room.

I can feel someone's eyes.

The bell rang again, this time directly next to my ear. The ringer had purposely let me see a part of their white glove as they flicked their wrist jerkily with the bell. I whipped my head around and my eyes met a white, frilly neck of a costume, then lowered, following the yellow and red stripped jump-suit. After reaching the large red, shiny shoes that situated on the strangers feet my eyes went against my mind and tore upwards.

Our noses were practically touching. The scream in my throat never came out. I met a pair of eyes that were so dark, I found myself lost in thought.

It was the clown I had spotted across the street with David, the one that had waved to me, the one that was in my nightmare.

My jaw carefully unhinged itself as the clown tilted it's head to the side, keeping my gaze. Their features, even with makeup, were wide, yet model-sharp. Unlike the one in my dreams, this clown sported no wig, but gelled back dark hair.

And as he spoke, his voice wasn't high-pitched, or filled with shrill. But it was raspy, bitterly raspy as if his vocal cords had taken a hit for many years. "Hello, darling," was the first thing he said, with a soft smile. I couldn't stop thinking to myself that the clown makeup just didn't fit. wondered why the guy even had it on. "What is your name?"

A shiver set throughout my body. As he spoke I had completely forgotten he was a clown. It was as if all of the shadows in the room had decided to hover over his face whenever he spoke.

"What is your name?" He repeated it with the same gentle, soft tone. I knew he question had been asked before. I just couldn't remember what had asked me it. But who even cared? This was a nice man.

"Faith-"

"Williams," he finished. "Faith. What a beautiful name, for a very beautiful young lady."

My breath caught in my throat. He was complimenting me? "Thank you."

The man leaned forward. "I'd like to show you something. Something you will very much enjoy, but you must keep it a secret. Will you do that for me, Faith?"