Part Eighteen

PART EIGHTEEN

AREYA'S POV

I open my eyes to sunlight streaming through the roof. One of the best healers in all of Mirkwood is sitting on a chair beside my bed. I sit up, my head throbbing a bit, and look over at the healer. "How long have I been here?" I ask frantically.

She puts a slender hand on my arm. "Patience, child. Hardly two hours."

"Only two? I feel perfect already, though."

She smiles. "That is because King Thranduil requested the best medicine and healing for you," she says.

It all comes back to me now. The dwarves, the king's kiss, and how badly I need to get back to Lake-town!

I stand up. "I must go," I say. "Thank you for your help. I will never be able to repay you, I am afraid."

"That is alright. It is, after all, my job."

I run to my old room and grab a forest green, belted dress from my wardrobe and slip it on. My hair has been washed, and I braid a small crown around my head. My cloak is still hanging by the door, and I take it and wrap it around my shoulders.

I have an extra quiver with fifty arrows in it that I sling over my shoulder. My knives are still hidden in my leather boots.

I open the door and run down the twisting pathways until I come to the training room. I push open the door and see Tauriel and Legolas, shooting at the targets. Every shot hits the center.

"What are you doing here?" I ask them.

Tauriel runs over and hugs me. "You're awake!" she says.

"She was only in the sickroom for two hours," Legolas says, rolling his eyes.

"Yes, and I feel better than ever!" I say, swinging my arms.

"And to answer your question, we were just brushing up on our skills," Tauriel says, putting her bow over her shoulders.

I raise my eyebrows. "Brush up on what? You two are the best archers in the kingdom!"

"You can never be too prepared," Legolas says. He pulls out the cluster of arrows from his target and slides them back into his quiver. Tauriel does the same.

"Hurry!" I say. "We need to find those dwarves!"

Legolas and Tauriel walk out the door with me.

"What did my father want to tell you?" Legolas says, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

My cheeks turned red. "He only asked me why I left."

"Then why are you blushing?" Tauriel asks in a teasing tone.

"He- he kissed me."

They both burst out laughing. "I knew it!" Legolas crows.

I smack his arm. "Be quiet! He might hear you."

"Do you love him?" Tauriel asks.

"No. That's too strange to even think about."

"Imagine if you got married," Tauriel muses. "You'd be Leggy's stepmother."

"Exactly why I won't marry him," I say.

"It's because you love me?" Legolas says.

"No, idiot."

We reach the back gates and run out of the kingdom, the wind whipping our hair around our faces. The trees pass in a blur. I've never felt so strong before!