Knowing something irrelivant

Cole woke up in the small bed they owned. He was alone. It wasn't like Kai to leave bed. Especially as early as it was now. Well, not really early, about 9:30, but that's early for them.

Cole quickly ambled out of bed and got dressed. He walked out of the room to see Kai sitting at their small kitchen table seated in front of his laptop.

"Kai?" Cole asked. " What are you doing up?" "Oh hey. I just wanted to start early. And I made breakfast before you could." Usually Cole would have called him rude or complained about him yet again insulting his cooking, but he kept his mouth shut.

Days like this, after what happened last night, he was usually more tolerant of Kai.

Cole sat down across from Kai at the table, where said red ninja had left him his breakfast. It was just some toaster waffles but it was still breakfast, and they weren't that bad.

" So what are you doing?" Cole asked as he started to cut up a waffle. "Getting a head start on the search. Still haven't found anything yet." Kai gestured for Cole to come and see the screen. He stood up and walked over to Kai's side. The computer screen showed a picture of the different cities and villages all over ninjago. How many did he already check? Cole thought.

What if there wasn't a place they could get married? " Um well, how many places did you check?"

"All of them..."

" All of them!"

"Look, I'm gonna make this work Cole. You know I will."

"But how long is it going to take Kai? We can't stay engaged forever!"

Coles voice began to sadden as he spoke.

"Kai, I used to dream that this would happen to us. That we would end up happy. I just... I want it to happen."

"I know, I do too. But it isn't going to be easy. But listen, no matter how long it takes, I'm going to love you. No law is going to seller ate us, got it?"

Cole gave a subtle nod. Of course he knew Kai loved him. But other people didn't see it and he knew that too. And sadly, when the people who disapproved of his life were in charge of him, there was nothing he could do. There was nothing Kai could do either.

And Cole knew Kai for a long time. He would work himself to the bone trying to find their happy ending. But he wouldn't find it. Not this time.

He kissed Cole on the cheek and closed the laptop. Kai buried his head in his arms on the table and closed his eyes.

" Kai?" Cole asked.

"It'll work out. I promise..."

" I know Kai, I know."

Sadly, I know.